After Shave Question Pinaud or Bay Rum?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Lathered, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

He's not to far north of my Moms, maybe I'll take a road trip sometime when I'm up there. :)

2. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

My fav Bay Rum is Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. Some barber supply shops sell for about $9.00 for 12 oz. Great lasting scent. Strong on Clove and Cinnamon. I occasionally spike it with Orange Peel.

BigT likes this.
  3. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Pinaud Clubman is an outstanding splash. I have the original, special reserve (acquired taste), Osage rub and a sample of vanilla. All of them are great. True manly scents.

GeneRector likes this.
  4. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Pinaud Clubman for me....wife loves it too, which is a big bonus!!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

BigT likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I really like VI bay rum. It's my goto. Plus the wife approves.

BigT likes this.
  7. mbowland1

mbowland1 New Member

I just purchased 5 different "bay rum" products from "West Coast Shaving". Like the "Dominica" brand best

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I use Lucky Tiger, Master's, Virgin Island and Captain's Choice bay rums and like them all. Each one has it's own distinct aroma and if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Master's. I also use Pinaud Clubman and like it also.

GeneRector likes this.
  9. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I don't think they make my favorite anymore. I haven't been able to find any for years. Dominica Bay Rum, and Dominica Bay Rum Lime. When I am not going out anywhere, my favorite is Pinuad Osage Rub. Beware! This stuff is not for the weak. It makes the skin tingle, as well as clearing up your sinuses. It's almost like a dilute version of Tiger Oil. This is definitely a Man's after-shave. And, it is also a great hair tonic.

Other than that, my favorite is plain old Clubman, Florida Water, and Lilac Vegetal, although I occasionally use Pinuad Special Reserve and Lime Sec.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any opinions about Stephan's vs Pinaud? I was thinking of trying some Stephan's Lilac.

BigT likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Bay Rums I've tried so far:
    Pinuads Virgin Island Bay Rum,
    Stephens,
    Gabels,
    Superior 70,
    Masters,
    There are so many left to try,but they are getting kind of pricey for me, so I had to slow down...As of now Masters is probably my least favorite of the bunch....:)

BigT likes this.
  11. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

I like them both~ I like Dominica Bay Rum, but the scent doesn't last all that long, it doesn't carry. I hear Royal is pretty good, I'm on the hunt for some good bay rum myself~ THe Pinaud variety is okay, very clove heavy. It also has that "yep, that's benzene" tinge to it. It's very refreshing though, once you get past the wicked sting that is the true test of manhood, just ask anyone ;) I like a good bay rum. Colonel Conk Bay Rum is overpriced garbage, steer clear of that~

12. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Captains Choice BR is still my favorite and the cute little senior citizen ladies at the library always like it when I wear the Pinaud Clubman. Probably reminds them of their dearly departed husbands.

Dave

13. Nathan1611

Nathan1611 Well-Known Member

I like the pinaud way more. I was very excited to try the bay rum but on my skin it produces a VERY loud cinnamon note which I'm not fond of. Looking forward to trying other bay rums though!

14. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

I have most of the Pinaud line except the Bay Rum. Just haven't found it yet. I have made my own bay rum and love it. I also have Master's Bay Rum. So my answer would be both all of the above and YES! :)

15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Thanks I will give the Masters Bay Rum a try. I've got a Sally's close by

16. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

I am a Pinaud fan but have not used their bay rum. Iuse both Master's and my home brewed bay rum. Try making your own and developing your own signature scent. I have enjoyed that.

17. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I love Clubman. Takes me back to sitting on that padded board the barber would rest across the arms of his barber chair and shave my neck, after which he would apply a healthy palmful of Clubman. All the time with a Lucky Strike between his lips. Currently, I've resorted to Captain's Choice Bay Rum, but I have a HUGE bottle of Royall Bay Rhum my dad brought back from Bermuda on a family vacation in ~1976. I apply this very sparingly and only on special occasions as I understand since relocating the production facility from Bermuda to the US, Royall Bay Rhum is simply not what it used to be. Anyone knows a close approximation, please let me know :)

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I use my Masters mainly in the winter as it has decent skin care. In the summer it can get a bit tacky for me. Blending it with Pinuad, Stephans, Dominica, or Superior 70 lightens it up nicely, and adding a squirt or 2 of TSD BR Cologne gives longevity to any of these. Ogallala was interesting but just too sweet for me, plus I kept forgetting to shake it enough. My next BR to try with be Captains Choice, as it seems to get good reviews here.

19. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

I use all the Pinaud products and enjoy them all. My favorite Bay Rum is the Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. I like the heavy Clove scent and it has staying power. Of course the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal has to like you. ;)

GeneRector likes this.
  20. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Clubman is a favorite. I do not undertand why my wife hates it. It seems to bring out a type of female fury that goes back through time.