After Shaves...Signature scent or huge variety?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ijustmissedthe50s, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I'd be certain many of you have been involved in this discussion before, but as a newbie I'll open up this potential can of worms: when it comes down to strictly a fragrance choice (not skin type/health issues), should a guy have one signature scent to wear as an AS? I'm envious of BOTH schools...Those of you who have a huge collection of fragrances, and those who pick theirs and stay with it. Summer and winter scents? Two or three? Dozens, or more? I'd kinda like to stay with just AS as the topic, please.

RaZorBurn123, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't classify scents into seasons, although some do.
    I have about eight or nine scents. Not really interested in getting more. A few of those, when they're gone they won't be replaced.
    Rule on an AS or cologne is my wife and I both have to like it.
    My wife says Brut makes me smell like me. Guess you could call that a signature scent.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If you held a gun to my head I'd probably go with Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. Unless it was date night with Herself. Then it would be Aramis.
    Then I'd be dead.

4. Ijustmissedthe50s

That'd be some "killer" after shave. Jerry Lee would prb be proud.

Hodge likes this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

I respect that, for sure. My GF is pretty open minded, as long as it's a scent in her "does" like category. Her "doesn't" like category is non negotiable. Lol.

Hodge and RyX like this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

I'm complicationg my own question now...Somebody please help me stay on point. I enjoy TSD posts because the members don't seem to leave any AS user out. I've read about dollar store products and one of a kind estate fragrances. Am I limiting myself by trying to stay true to three of my basic all time favorites: Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva blue and Old Spice(or a knockoff even)? I want to try Osage Rub, but prb more as a scalp treatment than an AS (I'm heavy into pomade).

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just so you know, you're now surrounded by enablers.:signs136: If you feel limited, it is self-imposed :D

Drygulch, MR41, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For the last number of years, I have only used Superior 70 Bay Rum. It has a nice light scent that agrees with me, is inexpensive, and I can buy it at the store across the street from my work. I am not much of an after shave guy and when I use it, this works for me..

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Ijustmissedthe50s

But it feels so good to be validated once in a while lol. I try to keep my enablers enabled at all times...Unless they don't want me to...Then I don't. Lol

Keithmax likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

:happy097:

MR41 likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

When it comes to AD's "limiting"is not a word that is often used.
    You've apparently got three scents that work for you. Go with that. If you listen to the "enablers" around here, it's down the rabbit hole ya go. Unless of course you want to go down the rabbit hole. Anyway you'll be in good company(yours truly included).

BigMark83 and swarden43 like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've got around 92 full size aftershaves and maybe 19 or 20 sample sizes of other ones. I did a pretty quick count so I could have missed one or two plus I've got several vintage bottles that are just for display and don't get used.
    And of course, there's those few that are labeled "cologne" but in my book they're really nothing more than aftershave.

As to your question about a "signature scent"; I suppose but then again, times and tastes can change. For example, I'm sure my "signature scent" in 1980 might have been Halston Z-14 but not any more.

I'm addicted to wet shaving and the products plus I like variety so I'd vote for more rather than less.

If I had Jay Leno's money I'd have a warehouse full of cars and drive a different one every day but since I only have my money I've got a closet full of shave gear and try to enjoy most of it.

Keithmax, brit, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Good analogy...The cars. I wonder if Leno has a different AS for each car? Uh oh...That'd be a whole different topic!

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Yeah, I suspect there's no way around going down the rabbit hole. I guess that's why I'm enjoying TSD...Such an interesting variety of knowledge and experience. Some of the fragrance descriptions....I don't think they'd make the product label lol!

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's more that one choice there. Drug store/ generic/ discount priced products will do the job of supplying alcohol to disinfect skin after shaving. The amount of scent oil in lesser price products is generally reduced to keep the manufacturers cost low hence the short lived projection. Pinaud products are a noticeable exception. When you see an AS that catches your curiosity I've found basenotes.net may help identifying the scent components. For example Brut t is described as;
    1. Top Notes
    2. Heart Notes
    3. Base notes

16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

For me its always changing. I tend to be enabled and will then find a brand I like and then purchase several more scents from that company. I will then really love a scent and then chase all the brands offering that scent. Recently its been woodsy or tobacco scents:D There's only been a few aftershaves of the 30+ Ive tried that I didnt like (Pinaud Clubman, Myrsol Metisol, Osage) and were PIF'd away

RyX likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Osage rub is menthol and eucalyptus. If that sounds good to you, go for it. It's very much a Vicks vaporub type of scent. It's great for clearing your sinuses in the morning. The menthol in it is fairly bracing.

Keithmax likes this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I enjoy a wide range of Aftershaves. For me, variety is the spice of life.

I like drug store AS like pinaud clubman, aqua velva, and old spice.

I also get into some of the matching sets through artisans (specifically Barrister and mann, Stirling, and Catie's bubbles).

Lastly, there are some more refined ones like lucky tiger, floid, fine, chatillon lux, and musgo real that are just incredible.

brit likes this.
  19. Ijustmissedthe50s

I'm starting to narrow things down as a beginner to aftershaves, so I don't confuse myself lol. Even though many prices are reasonable, I can't run out and buy quite a few at the same time. I'm enjoying everyone's posts and comments!

brit and RyX like this.
  20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Try Osage Rub it's fantastic. I don't really think of it as an aftershave though. The scent starts off medicinal but quickly fades to a light powder scent. This is easily covered by almost every aftershave. My usual post shave routine is witch hazel followed by alum. Wait a few and wipe off then apply the Osage. Wait a few more and then the aftershave. The Osage just feels great but be careful, it's got some decent cool to it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Keithmax and MR41 like this.