Aftershave gels? Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Just wondering what thoughts you all have about aftershave gels? Yay or nay...love 'em, hate 'em?Good ones, bad ones...what say you?

Bama Samurai and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Been shaving for nigh 40 years, don't recall ever using an aftershave gel.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

if it smells nice, soothes the skin, and gives me either a menthol blast or an alcohol slap(sting, burn, or buzz) or both. I'm a happy camper.
    don't care if it's a liquid, balm, gel, or lotion.

Rusty blade and Joef like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm with David. If the product is made of quality ingredients, feels nice on the skin, the scent is agreeable, I'm all for it— balm, splash or gel. :happy088:
    I used to mainly use balms post-shave.

Rusty blade and Joef like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I prefer old school alcohol based splashes.

Paul Turner, tuxxdk and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do like the Rise balm-does make me wonder if they will come out with a "50's"-fragrance splash. But liquid is my preference.

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I use balms from time to time, but don't really know of too many gels that are on the market. I guess if it sounds like something you would be interested in then check it out. Each person likes different things when it comes to aftershaves.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gels cater to the 'modern' market, so if you are aiming this at wet shavers, it might be a bust.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I own one bottle of Tabula Rasa Steampunk aftershave gel. It's ok, but I prefer an AS.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I prefer a balm or gel. I feel like I can better measure out enough without going into too much. I have some splashes but I really do prefer the thicker options.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Gel is fine so long as it doesn't leave a film or sticky residue on the skin.

It has to absorb well and finish smooth.

Another negative would be if it leaves the face looking glossy or oily in appearance.

Best of luck

Paul Turner and Rusty blade like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What my good friend from Colorado wrote.

PLANofMAN, tuxxdk and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

My experience with gels is that they tend to be tacky or not moisturizing enough for my needs. Usually these properties are inversely proportional to each other. I've tried a number of them, including Art of Shaving, Nancy Boy, Jack Black, and Code Blue, to name a few. Generally, I prefer balms, although it can also be tricky finding one that is just right. My go-to these days is DRH a/s milk in sandalwood scent.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've used gels several times over the past 35 years and I've always ended up with pimples appearing on my face. Something in them doesn't agree with my skin.

Rusty blade likes this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've used it, but prefer splashes, balms after that. The gel just doesn't do it for me,

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I use and enjoy some of them!

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

If I use anything post shave, it's a splash during warmer weather and a light lotion during colder weather. I think I would find a gel too thick for me. But, if it were to absorb quickly and not leave a residue or resurface, then I'd probably be fine with it. Also, I'm not one for menthol chill or alcohol bite. Penguins are cold enough without any outside help. :D

Rusty blade likes this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I've only used TOBS Sandalwood and it's too sticky for my tastes.

19. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

The only thing I have used that I would consider a "gel" is Trumpers skin food and I personally think it's quite nice. Very soothing. It does have a fair amount of glycerine but absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling great.

Primotenore likes this.
  20. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I'm in the shop tinkering as I have time!