Aftershave gels? Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

The only one I have is called 'The Cool Fix' and it's a really good gel.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I've only ever used a mass produced Gillette gel. I don't remember much from it. An artisan gel would be pretty cool.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

what is the difference between them?
    splash-clear or mostly transparent liquid. alcohol / witch hazel based.
    ? balm- thicker than straight liquid. mostly got a creamy color. what else?
    ? gel- same as balm but clear?
    lotion-i've seen these labeled all over the board?
    emulsion-? no idea, has to be shaken before use?
    solids-? I've heard of a very few, neat idea. just rub it on, like deodorant for the face? maybe on to something,hmmm.

these are just my ramblings,I really don't have a definitive answer between the bunch, other than common use.
    if someone knows, I'd be interested.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

For me the big limiting factor with any kind of AS product is scent. I have stumbled upon a choice few that are low, mild scented ASBs that moisturize nicely and have a scent that dissipates quickly. I tried a few that were heavily scented and ended up having to walk through a car wash (the kind with the big scrubbers) to get the stink off me. A couple of the girls at work have been the recipient of some AS to give to their hubbies. Yes, back to my point...if I could find a low or mildly scented gel I would give it a try. The ones I have sniffed in the drugstores ("Sir, there is that man again in aisle three sniffing the aftershaves again") are all too strong for my liking. My search continues.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Crusella& co 1800, seems like they last all of ten minutes.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good question. I don't like an aftershave gel Per se, but what I do like is a thinker aftershave, with great healing ingredients. With Aloe Vera Juice, Witch Hazel, Glycerin and such. Good stuff that does good things for my face and head.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy Lucky Tiger After shave & face tonic. It's slightly less liquid than an alcohol AS. I don't find it sticky, oily , or tacky. No ill effects & pleasant citrus scent.

I've used Caffeinated After shave a couple times. It's a lotion with a paragraph of ingredients and a peppermint scent. Pairs well with Canoe AS. I don't recall any adverse effects, but I drink a lot of coffee. It claims to use caffeine to reduce the appearance of redness. Meh.

One nearly unused bottle of afta Fresh by Mennen that will not be used. It has a soapy smell that is not to my liking. I recall no ill effects beyond the scent.

I was PIF'ed a tub of RazoRock Aftershave Wax that I will be seeking to replace before I consume. Consistency is like shaving creme or tooth paste with a pleasant pine scent that lingers quite well. A little dab goes a long way and continues to moisten for hours. I suspect it helps during dry cold days. I'm in the South so I don't get many of those days.

Good luck with your venture!

Salty Belle likes this.
  8. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

When I was in my 30's, I was a Mixologist, at The Cincinnati Club... http://www.cincinnaticlub.us ...! Have you EVER shaved in a 'Bar-Room-Mirror,' & used Vodka & Lime Juice for an After-Shave? I enjoy the memories, folks! :happy036:

RyX, Salty Belle and Robyflexx like this.
  9. ehsa

ehsa New Member

i have used taylor of old bond street luxury gel which i did not particulary like as it felt somewhat sticky. geo.f. trumper skin food is a favorite and right now i am using the coral skin food.still i do not use it everyday as i switch to balms as well. my favorite is st.johns bay rum balm.actually i can live without any of it but enjoy the extra touch.all the best john