Aftershave talc?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by dangermouse, Jun 11, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Is this a real thing or is it just body talc used on the face? I wonder if any of you guys use talc as part of your aftershave routine and what it's benefits might be and what you like. I don't know if this is a real concern, but were there some reports about talcs causing cancer a few years back, something to do with magnesium maybe?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Talc, aka baby powder, is used on some after shaves. Actually, Pre de Provence (one of my favorites) has talc in the soap. IMHO, there is no difference between the body talc and face .

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know my barber will dust my neck with Clubman talk after he trims me up with a str8. Works for me. Never experienced any burn or irritation after he shaves my neck.

4. dangermouse

I just ordered some.

Carbide Mike and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When I first bought some as a teen-age shaver, I did use it on my face, but used too much, and thus looked like a clown. I may buy some this winter, but it's just for the neck(IMO).

Carbide Mike and dangermouse like this.
  6. dangermouse

I wondered that, but the carton does say face talc. Well, I think it does.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

well, even if it does, I think it's best meant for the neck.

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Bismoline powder. Smells great, and soothes any areas. Not a baby powder, or Gold Bond , but works well ! download.jpg

dangermouse likes this.
  9. dangermouse

Anything that say's it's for feet isn't going on my face :) Face talc works quite well, the issues I have, are trying not to breathe while applying it. It can't be good for your lungs and also using a very small amount to avoid the 'clown' look. If you have oily skin it's not too bad. The first time I tried it, I had it in my palms (like a splash) and coughed as I went to apply it. It went everywhere.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It's quite cooling, for those who like that feeling, but it is a all around product, says for minor skin irritation. The foot stuff, I can say,they should of left it off the container. Lol. ;)

dangermouse likes this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I used to have Mennen shave talc. It was tinted to match skin. I haven't seen it on the shelf in years.

12. dangermouse

The clubman talc is tinted but it's still a bit pale if you put too much on.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use baby powder after I put on my AS. Supposed to take away moisture and skin oil. At least that's what I read why barbers use it. Anyway I've used it after my shaves pretty much since I took up "traditional" shaving, although I never bothered with it when I was using a cart. I rub it between my hands, apply to my face then wipe off the excess with the damp part of my towel. Feels good on my face afterwards. :)

dangermouse and Spud like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Hey, that's right...I rfemember putting some on my feet too.

15. Paul Turner

my barberette doesn't just dust my neck with, she slaps it on going back and forth with the brush a few times. When she's done, I can see the particles fly through the air.

16. dangermouse

Now, there's something I didn't think of - wiping away any excess with the damp part of the towel. Is baby talc as good as anything else? I guess talc is talc and maybe there are no special ingredients for a face talc.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. dangermouse

Hey baby talc for that smooth as baby's butt shave! :) That could be their new advertising logo. I'm thinking it might catch on. I know you guys were way ahead of me on this.

Carbide Mike and 178-bplatoon like this.
  18. Paul Turner

I'd change that to "baby butt FEEL".

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, pretty much talc is talc. Major difference in brands is the scent.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

In my "early shaving days"I had Old Spice talc. I'm real glad Clubman talc is in CVS.