Aftershaves...which camp are you in?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Nov 15, 2015.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't use WH, just never felt the need. I apply a tiny amount of Nivea Post Shave Balm, allow it to air dry while brushing my teeth then follow with an inexpensive drug store alcohol splash(Clubman, Aqua Velva, Barbasol, Old Spice, Bay Rum, etc.).:)

Kizurra likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I prefer aftershaves that compliment my shave soap, i.e.
    Bourbon Jungle soap- Bourbon Jungle Aftershave
    Barbershop Hop soap- Barbershop hop Aftershave etc.

Kizurra and tuxxdk like this.
  3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Ideal aftershave splash- classy scent, menthol, alcohol, toning properties. Examples include but aren't limited to Fine American Blend, Barbon, Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Myrsol F, Clubman.

Ideal aftershave balm- Myrsol Emulsion. If I have a particularly rough or uncomfortable shave, this stuff is a lifesaver. I also like the bottle it comes in and the label on it.

I like witch hazel too, but I haven't used it in a very long time.

Kizurra and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do enjoy the skin conditioning aspect of some aftershaves. BUT I've become addicted to the chill (shock?) of a good mentholated AS.
    This probably stems from my regular use of the extreme AS, Fine's Snake Bite'—which has no scent, and is mainly alcohol and a boatload of menthol. A slap-in-the-face, but in a good way.
    I also use TSD's aftershave milk—which really feels good on the skin. I have the 'iced' (mentholated) version which provides the conditioning aspect with a slight chill.

5. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

+1 on matching scents, big part of the draw to tsd's line. I can get soap a/s and cologne in all the scents whithout the cost of the big 3 t's. Many soaps I adore but can't get a/s in same makes me hesitant. Does not stop me from buying them but I buy more often from the ones I can get a set.

6. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks so much everyone...fabulous input!

Robyflexx, Joef and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I always use which hazel followed by whatever ends up in my hand. I have about 16 as, or balms. I'm not choosy.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was about to say I like Chypres and Fougères, but that's not apparently what this thread is about. :)

Given a choice between an alcohol based aftershave and an aftershave Balm, I'll take the alcohol based one every time. I keep a bottle or two of balm around for the bad razor burn days (rare), but for the most part, balms leave my face feeling oily.

Yes, I prefer aftershaves that contain witch hazel. Also aloe vera and glycerin. Most witch hazels have alcohol in them, 14% if I remember correctly. You can get non-alcohol witch hazel, but it's about double or triple the price.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Pitralon ... what else? ;)

10. impetus

impetus Member

i use witch hazel, or an alum stick. i think i like the alum better. followed by aloe. aloe is a great moisturizer/healer.
    no scents. i'm told by the ladies i have a wonderful scent as it is. ;):love029:

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

If I had to choose, I'd pick WH and moisturizing, but some of my alcohol ones are excellent, too.

12. Brushfire

Brushfire Member

I generally use WH after every shave, and then prefer alcohol splashes with good skin stuff in them and a good fragrance, hopefully one that exactly matches or goes with whatever soap I'm using. Also, if it gets really cold & dry, I tend to prefer balms over the alcohol splashes. Otherwise, the splashes prevail.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I also use WH after the shave and then apply alcohol based AS. I prefer that my AS not fight with my soap scent.

14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

With. Use Clubman and American Blend. I like a little slap in the morning.

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me, both.

16. Salty Belle

;)

impetus likes this.
  17. Salty Belle

Thanks guys! Seems there's is a lot of diversity in preferences...different strokes for different folks!

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

"Just the facts, Sir."

20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I always use witch hazel then whatever after shave or post shave balm floats my boat that day.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015