Against the grain?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevinwine85, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, my dad did one pass down and the next pass upwards as well.

I guess that the problem with those multiblade razors (never used those myself) is that they pull out the hairs much more than with a regular razor.

Frijolero, DesertTime and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i reached my objective of comfy shaves with a vintage gillette razor a while back .no more ingrown hairs and irritation..i am sure a good part of that is the face has adapted to it,but learning a good consistent technique is biggest factor for me.finding a better way was my objective and i found it. if de razors didn t work i would try something else..if i really think about it most of my combo passes are across the grain at different angles.other than minor adjustments for the more aggressive gillettes i own ,which are few.they all work and feel similar.when i am shaving with different gillettes it is more or less playing..hence the hobby part of it..no one in my family taught me to shave, they just bitched and moaned when i didn t. at 51 years young ,i wished i had learned this earlier..better late than never..my point after this long ramble..i used what i learned here and made it work for me..thank you all fellow 30 DCers and denizens for your help and encouragement..
    and sometimes just for listening..one can read around here and figure stuff out as well..

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

That may be true for some, idk. When I used carts I'd only get ingrown hairs if I shaved ATG. I understand the point you were making. From my experience with ingrown hairs I just thought that's how everyone else got them.

brit, Frijolero and DesertTime like this.
  4. well-groomed

well-groomed Member

I learned the hard way that ATG doesn't work for me.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I get a really good shave in just 1 or 2 with the grain passes with my muhle r41, so I think that's what I'll stick with since I shave 5 days a week.

Primotenore, Engblom, Eeyore and 2 others like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There is no "should" in shaving. Whatever works, works. It may not work for someone else but that does not make it in any way wrong, or incorrect, or negate the fact that it works fine for you or me.

I'm in a decided minority of wetshaving in that at least 90% of my shaves, no matter what I shave with, is ATG. Sometimes 100% is ATG. My beard is mid-weight so there's not as much resistance as a really hairy bluebeard might put up, so it works for me and ends up a more efficient and longer lasting shave. Only trick is, a sharp blade with good technique is a must. Even there, though, no doubt some skin/beard types won't stand for it. I get no irritation (except for the new razor/Feather combo I just used...tore me up...I need to fine tune that).

Everyone's different on what will and won't work. And that's okay, too.

7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Some people cant go ATG because their skin is too sensitive and they dont have the technique to do it without tearing themselves up. I used to go ATG but I dont anymore. BBS is overrated and only lasts 8-10 hours anyways. Im perfectly happy to pass on BBS and instead get a DFS shave with no irritation or blood.

brit, Primotenore, CrustyCat and 2 others like this.
  8. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I usually only go ATG on my cheeks if at all.

brit likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never have figured why someone would want to shave against the grain. I mean really unless you have a beard that only needs to be shaved once ever 3 weeks you are waisting time anyway. With in a few hours the stubble will be back again right? Why bother. I do with the grain then across the grain. After that I splash on some witch hazel and get a touch up pass. DFS comes around all the time that way. So no you should not go against the grain all the time.

brit, Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This deserves more then just the like button.

BULLY for you!!

brit, Frijolero and Badgerstate like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Im may not have much wisdom but I try to share what little I do have. I chased BBS for a long time only to end up with weepers and irritation before I realize it was stupid and no one but me ever knew I had achieved BBS anyways.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

By that logic, there's no point shaving in the first place.

Myself, I happen to enjoy the sensation of being clean shaven. Doubly so with a good splash of menthol. How long it lasts isn't part of the equation.

Yeah, what he said.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mine lasts maybe 3-4 hours.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yup.

brit likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My BBS lasts upwards of 12 or so. Somewhere around there. Right now I'm at 7-8 hours in and face is still smooth with only the barest hint of whisker as I rub hard against the grain.

brit, Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I found ATG to yeild the closest shaves, many times at the expense of comfort.

Around here the 'technique trumps tools' mantra is popular, and it's not wrong.

I'd like to share my experience with some different tools.

The Straight Razor has become my favorite for many reasons but mostly the lack of irritation. Getting the closest shave is still a work in progress. I always make a final ATG pass without issue.

Double Edge Razors gave me my start. I found better results and lower irritation than obtained with cartridges. Until I took up straights and got a better feel for the cutting edge on my skin I mostly avoided ATG on my lower neck. I have learned to do much better passes including ATG in all areas. If I'm not careful, I can still irritate my lower neck. My use of injectors is similar.

The Focus R48 Dynamic 1/2 DE pivoting SE razor. This is a unique modern design razor with parameters all its own. I sometimes refer to it as a gizmo razor, because it is. It is finicky in blade loading and requires you to ignore some of what you learned in order to yeild shaves that to me are really comfortable, really close, easy, and irritation free. It always presents the blade at the right angle or it will not cut. I use only Feathers now and have never gotten a closer shave without irritation. It will definitely show you the growth pattern of your beard in a way you have not seen before.

The Focus R48 has its haters, but until I get where I want to be with straights it will be my wedding razor.

ATG is the only way for me to produce the closest shave. Stretched skin, correct lubrication, perfect angle of attack, enough pressure and energy on a sharp enough instrument is the ticket. What you use to do that, is up to you.

Be well

brit, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That right there's a thing o' beauty.

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thanks

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i get near bbs shaves with my vintage gillettes.the near part being the lower neck area..a thin stripe just above the t-shit collar..with shave faces and a little stretching i get it very close with atg.but i take my time with it ..i shave almost daily now where as before i shave 2-3 times a week for ages..early techs and new oc razors are my dominant tools now .if i miss a day or so i use a tto.not important, ..i would rather be able to shave the next day than go full bbs and have irritation..near bbs/dfs+/ whatever you want to call it works for me..

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Indeed. You may proceed along the path.

brit likes this.