Aggressive razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 25, 2016.

1. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

So I use a Gillette travel tech and want something a little more aggressive. Is there a general list of razors in progression of aggressiveness?

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

get a slim
    then you can dial in your aggression(lol).
    past that, from a travel tech point of view, most are more aggressive.

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I agree. Get a Gillette slim adjustable. You can start at 1 and go up to 9. They are reasonably priced. It's like having 9 razors in one.

Redrock and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+3 A slim is a very diverse razor and a well made piece of history. If you want to dive right in get a Muhle R41. Muahaha....
    Marty Feldman Young Frankenstein.PNG

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yeah, what he said. I had a great, inspirational and informative reply, but @PLANofMAN beat me to it. DOH!

AGHisBBS, Jim99, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Seeing as 3 times the charm I agree with @david of central florida and @Jorvaljr. Get a Slim or a Fatboy or a Super Adjustable. Play around with it for a while and find out what you like. You may find you love super aggressive shaves. In that case get your self a Merkur Futur or Muhle R41. Or you may just want something more efficient then the tech but not overly aggressive. In that case I suggest a Merkur 34C/Edwin Jager DE89 and many others. The main thing is to find out what works for you and what you like then go from there.

Good luck.

AGHisBBS, Tralfaz and Robyflexx like this.
  8. aelfred.t.allspa

Thanks for all the info!

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Mr. Freeze93 like this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Do you want vintage or something new? You don't necessarily need an adjustable to get a great shave!! What you need to is solid technique (I'm not saying the OP has or does not have solid technique) in general terms.
    A Gillette Red Tip is pretty aggressive.
    A Muhle R41 is very aggressive.
    A Gillette Aristocrat is the best razor made IMO.

11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good advice on one of the Gillette adjustable razors. You can dial in from very mild to very aggressive.

12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I've got a tech, and I swear I could hack at my face as long as I want and never draw blood. It so mild I really can't shave with it. I've been eyeing a fatip recenty. Maybe going too much from one extreme to another...

AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I vote for the Muhle R 41.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another point to consider, what blades are you using? Plenty of opinion about the different qualities of the many manufacturers. A mild razor with a sharp blade may give a similar shave to an aggressive razor and a milder blade.
    I'd vote for the inexpensive vintage (Gillette ;)) adjustable and a blade sampler package.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Slim.

AGHisBBS, RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  16. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Now I know what to hunt! :D

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Ikon has a razor thats the most aggressive razor ever. Its insane.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I know I replied and recommended the nt vigour which is the merkur future replica, but to be honest both those razors are little harder for maintenance and they are both made of pot metal, although the NT Vigour has brass plating but who knows how well it will hold, for sure will hold more than the Merkur cause the Merkur has none of that ... So expect one day for things to wear off such as the cap or handle threads or the heavy load spring. If I have to vote with my wallet I would go for the Rockwell 6s, full stainless steel, not machined but MIM molding ( do I dear say almost perfect finish for not being machined?), 3 different interchangable heads that will offer 1-6 (6 different settings)you can go from mild like feather ads2 razor to muhle r41 agressivnes, comes in a nice tin box that u can fit everything inside organised and possibly fit 5-6 blades if u organise them well, it's very easy to clean it takes me a minute to wipe clean the head with cloth and detail it with cotton swab and for some reason the inside of the handle never gets wet so I don't have to leave it tipped over to dry out, blades align perfect in all directions on all 3 baseplates,it looks damn attractive with the matte like finish but it's not coated, it's actually sand blasted. Have all that I mentioned above in consideration and it cost $80 shipped. It's a perfect razor if u want to try an aggressive blades like feather to the mild blades like Derby's. I honestly love this thing, can't say any more good things about it, I'm impressed by it. If they ever offer the same razor in open comb and slants I for sure am buying both

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and BeShaved like this.
  19. aelfred.t.allspa

I love using astra sp's in my tech. I just want to dip my toes in the water of aggressiveness. I like vintage so I think I'm going to aim for a red tip :) thanks guys!

RaZorBurn123 and BeShaved like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Post up a 'Want to Buy' in the classifieds here. You'll probly pay a lower price and get a better razor than the typical eBay offerings.