Airgun Users?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by whiskerlips, Dec 29, 2008.

1. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Any one here into airguns / pellet rifles? I just sold my old Gamo and looking to finally upgrade to something like a RWS 48. I've always wanted a fixed barrel.

Opinions?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a single shot lever action pellet gun that I use for varmint control. I am not sure of the brand or model. It is fixed barrel and is extremely powerful and accurate. If you would like I can check for any branding or markings.

Just to be clear, we have permission from the DNR to shoot Muscrat that are attempting to destroy the dam of our family's pond.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

LOVE MINE!

[​IMG]

Them varmint are pushing up daisies. Wabbit season is coming or is it Duck?

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Did a bit of searching and I think I found it.

900 fps. $129 Click image for link
    [​IMG]

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

DUCK!!!!!!!

Fuzzy

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

youll shoot your eye out kid.

7. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I guess the Christmas Story references were inevitable. I've never shot myself. I have however accidentally shot my brother in his face when I was 13. Right in his cheek. He's like 6'6" and could have easily killed me with one bop on the top of the head. But he didn't get mad. Just had to work it out of his cheek. He never even told my mother.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

That is why i have ANSI cert shootin shades.

9. Larry T

Larry T Member

Air rifles

I started using air rifles in college. My friends father saw us playing around with an old Crosman pump-up rifle(I still have it), and decided to dig out his old BSA Meteor. He put on quite a show with that gun, he was an excellent shot, and I was hooked. I ordered a 1976 Beeman catalog and bought a Weihrauch HW35L(I still have it, too), a German break barrel rifle, producing about 800 fps in .177 caliber, with excellent accuracy. I used that gun for rabbit hunting for about fifteen years, until my wife decided rabbits are too cute to shoot.

I now own about a dozen good air rifles, and several air pistols, from various companies. The RWS 52 is one of my favorites, it's a model 48 with a fancy stock. Mine was purchased in the late '80s, and it still shoots like new. My nephew uses it now. I kept my Weihrauch 77, another excellent fixed barrel rifle from the past. It won't match the RWS for sheer power, but it is my most accurate air rifle.

Sorry for the long post, it's good to see someone else with a similar interest.

Larry

10. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

No need to apologize, this is exactly the kind of post I'm looking for. I've heard the 52 is nice, but at close to $400 I'm not sure I can afford much more than the 48.

I have a Ruger 10/22, a shotgun, a Border Marshal edition of the Beretta 92FS, and some other things I can't quite remember now. But there's something special about a good pellet gun.

11. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Do you have a .22 or .177? The reason I sold my Gamo was the smaller caliber pellets would go through and through an animal so they would often run off and have to suffer. With a .22 it's quick and you don't have to worry about suffering.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have the .177. I use hollow point soft pellets, and have not had problems with a single hit not being enough, as long as it is well placed. I haven't shot anything but muscrats with it though.

13. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I've been interested in a .22, myself, having only had the .177... any recommendations for a cheaper starter-up?

14. Larry T

Larry T Member

I sold all my centerfire stuff years ago. I did keep one shotgun, a Remington 870 Wingmaster, and several .22 rimfires. I have two Marlins, an 880SS, and a 39A lever action, as well as a Thompson Center .22 Classic. I like accurate guns, if it won't shoot a tight group, I sell it.

I have several .22 airguns, but none are inexpensive. My favorite .22 air rifle is an HW80(aka Beeman R1). I can consistantly punch holes through both sides of a coffee can at 75 yards with Crosman Premier round nosed pellets. It is accurate too, groups under an inch at 50 yards are common. I used this gun to compete in Field Target competitions in the late 80's and early 90's.

I don't have a link, but a company called Compasseco in Kentucky sells a wide variety of airguns in all price ranges. I have had a few of their Chinese guns, solid guns at a good price, but the fit and finish isn't going to match the German and British guns.

Larry

15. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

You can find cheap start up rifles all over the place. You can find very cheap chinese made air rifles at many flea market type places. Or some very nice entry level airguns can be found at Bass Pro Shops or

http://www.pyramydair.com/

http://www.airgundepot.com/