Alcohol-Induced Aftershave CLUB

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by TraderJoe, Mar 9, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Who uses them? What do you like about them?

When I first started wetshaving, I had a bottle of Aqua Velva and Old Spice. This was, for a while, all that I used (no knowledge/respect of witch hazel, balms, etc. - at the time). I went on to accumulate dozens of others, but that's besides the point here :D

It has been said (general internet research) that alcohol is one of the worst things to apply to a freshly-shaven face, for it can irritate or dry the skin. I disagree.

Alcohol Based Aftershave (AB/AS) has become an essential part of my after-shave process, coming directly after a witch hazel splash, and usually followed by a moisturizer or balm. I find that the alcohol actually calms the skin down and helps to relieve redness/irritation.....but more importantly it disinfects (antiseptic properties) and tightens pores, leading to healthier skin.

I wouldn't go without it.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I agree.
    However, I use the AS splash first and then follow it up
    with either the RNB AS (witch hazel+aloe gel+ melaleuca oil) or
    ASB of my choice.

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Agreed. I personally like the alcohol sting that happens very briefly every morning, and following that up (which is after a Witch Hazel splash) with an A/S balm or moisturizer has left my face feeling better and smoother than it's ever been.

Just like you mention Joe, the alcohol part makes any small amount of redness/irritation I end up with for that daily shave disappear. It's part of my overall regiment, and I wouldn't be without it! :happy036

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Myself I only use alcohol-based after-shaves.. I have one balm that I like - the famous Anherb Conditioner.. But thats it..

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I use alcohol-bades AS every day after shaving. They serve as a yardstick so you see (or, rather, feel :D ) where you've shaved too close and I really love the tingle. Afterwards I always apply an ASB to keep my face moist.

Here's my setup on AS:
    - Swiss Pitralon (I simply LOVE it)
    - Spanish Floid (the red one, with menthol)
    - Tabac AS-Splash
    - Dominica Bay Rum

I used to have several department-store AS (Adidas, Denim...) but I gave them to my brother as I can't stand these cheap scents anymore :D

6. Smedley

Smedley New Member

They form part of my rotation, but not every day. Maybe I'll try it daily once I pick my daily blade/razor combo.

Aqua Velva, Michelson Bay Rum, and Royall Lime. I plan to pick a couple more up in the future, though. Love the sting and the nice aroma.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

How many times you gonna dis my Velva Joe:rofl

Anyway I love it in my after shave I get a great tone form it. Need to lessen the burn? Cut it with Witch Hazel and its A OK.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:confused: I hear they are coming out with a rose version, just for you , pal ;) :D

9. Stubble

Stubble Member

I've previously had used Aqua Velva and Old Spice, they were good, but I tired of the scents. I think I'm a little older than you gents, and so I remember when these two scents were very popular.
    Anyway, really like the scent and feel of alcohol based Bay Rum. The other that I use is a liquid, alcohol based, after shave splash, that is an astringent. For years, barbers would splash it on your neck, after they finished giving your neck a str8 razor shave. It's made by Stephans, and is just called 320 Astringent. It has this great, old-timey barbershop scent (and no it's not like Brut or even worse Hai Karate). It feels wonderful on your face, closes up the pores, gives you a little sting, to remind you a tingle is a great way to start the day. ;)

10. DMS

DMS New Member

I use an alum block followed by an alcohol based a/s after every shave, and only follow that with any kind of balm once in a great while during the winter if my face starts getting dry. Even then I'll use a Neutrogena men's face cream in preference to a/s balms.

I've read the same expert advice about how alcohol based a/s products are bad for you but they make my face feel great and never oily. They add a lot to the quality of the shave to me.

I use in no particular order:
    Tabac
    Jako
    Pinaud Clubman
    Pinaud Bay Rum
    Pinaud Special Reserve
    Dolce & Gabana
    Cool Water
    Old Spice

11. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Its by far the best way for me to get rid of razor burn. Burn it out quick with an alcohol splash.

12. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

I have to agree with Joe on this one, me too like the way the splash treats the face. about the alcohol part I feel ok it might dry out the skin a bit that is just the property of alcohol its nature to skin or nature by itself. try to drink bottles of wine or beer without dehydrating your body you will wake up with a major headache.

Im using the as alcohol splashes mainly for its anti-septic properties and I like the stinging aswell.. :eek:

The Anherb line of products are mainly based to providing anti-septic treatment without the need for an alcohol base. and cooling properties due to the menthol they contain, skin restoration is done by use of Herbal essence.

The Anherb agent told me Alcohol darkens the skin I do not know to what extent the level of darkening goes nor have I heard of lawsuite of men filing against companies because they suddenly were looked upon as a different race then they were born into.

I always follow up with either Thayers spray on the face and a good as balm or moisturiser.

The only Aftershave splash that I know of that tries to be an anti-septic and moisturiser in 1 is by Nivea that bottle contains two parts of liquid that need to be mixed by shaking the bottle hard prior to use so both elements mix into one. Nivea For Men Fresh- 2 phase Lotion which has Mentol and Vitamin E

Some of my fav. splashes

Old Spice
    M7 by YSL
    XS Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne
    Burberry's of London :drool
    Elements by Boss
    Memmoire de Homme by Ninna Ricci
    Dynamic by Adidas (suprisingly fresh scent lasts 15-20m )
    Chrome by Azzaro
    Antartica by Yves Rocher
    Verguldehand by VGH.
    Zino by Davidoff.
    Michael Kors :drool

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I use Thayer's After Shave - 20% alcohol when I shave at home. A little splash will do ya. I have some more on the way for work. It's a tough call, I'm trying to find the right balance of things including scents. So, I am trying to make my prep scent neutral, my cream or soap provides a scent and then my post should also be scent neutral. One problem I have found is that heavy alcohol based products evaporate my shave scent. This creates a dilemma. Which scent do I want to finish with? The scent of my cream or soap or the scent of a splash or cologne? I tend to shy away from colognes because not many work for me and it just adds to my AD problem :)

14. Lynchmeister

Lynchmeister New Member

I also have a bottle of Lagerfeld Jako AS. I've been using it as a cologne, though, due to the pungency and staying power. When you splash it, doesn't it become overwhelming to you and those around you? I'm curious to hear you take on it...If it works for me, I'd liken it to finding a $20 bill in the pocket of your dirty jeans...it was there the whole time just waiting for you to discover it.

15. DMS

DMS New Member

I don't find the JAKO A/S overpowering, and my wife has never commented on it being overly powerful, but I think there may be more than one blend of Lagerfeld Jako out there. It doesn't seem as strong or long lasting as either Tabac or Pinaud Special Reserve A/S to me.

I got mine from Amazon and they had such a good price I ordered two bottles in order to clear the $25 order free shipping hurdle. When they arrived, one was a lighter color and slightly weaker scent than the other. The lighter one was distributed from a U.S. address and the darker one from the U.K. The U.K. bottle had leaked out about 3/4" in the box and I couldn't tell which was the right JAKO color/scent so returned them both for exchange.

The two replacements came in cellophane sealed boxes, again one each from U.S. and U.K., but not quite as much difference between them this time. The U.S. one is definitely lighter/clearer in color than the other, but I like the U.K. scent more so that's the one I'm currently using.