all barbers are not created equal

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by emmijack, Aug 28, 2013.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

My Wife bought a cut throat shave and mini facial experience for my birthday in April which I used today at The Gentry Grooming Company, I was a little apprehensive about it as my previous barber shop shave was a bit of a let down to say the least (lasted around ten minutes).
    If there is a definition of money well spent then todays hour of bliss was it!!.
    After being welcomed into the Salon and given a complimentary drink procedings started with a mini facial using the company's own products which I must say were very good indeed, then followed a facial scrub to clear the skin, afterwards was some sort of moisturising lotion and the first of two hot towels during the course of the shave, lastly a cold towel, cooling menthol balm and the company's aftershave.
    The hour seemed to fly by all too quickly, but I left with a close comfortable shave, and feeling totally relaxed.
    it was a great experience, and one that I would love to repeat and has turned my preconceptions of barber shaves on it's head!!.
    Just thought I would share this amazing treat with you all!!

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds great! Don't know of anything like that in my part of the U.S., Birmingham, Alabama, but I wish there was.

3. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Awesome experience. I still want to try the Royal shave from AOS at some point. Judging from the YouTube videos I see of it the $55 is worth it.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From all that I've heard from folks getting a str8 shave at the barber, emmijack's is the first positive one I've heard.
    And only one good out of numerous bad is enough for me to hold onto my $55.

But that's me.

BigT likes this.
  5. emmijack

my Experience cost £30, don't know how that equates into US Dollars, And to be honest I probably wouldn't have had it done had it not been a present, as my first barber shave was such a let down!!!

6. swarden43

$46.52. Still too rich for me, even if I don't leave a tip!

BigT likes this.
  7. emmijack

I suppose when you put it like that, it is expensive!!!

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  9. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

Depends on where you are from what I have heard. I got a Traditional shave and a hair cut here in Tampa at AOS it ran me $65 plus tip it took alomst 90 minutes and there was a small dog worth of hair and beard on the floor. Sarah the Master Barber that accompished this task was awesome best hair cut I have gotten and the only shave I have paid for, even with me as a student for the next yr and a half I am going to make the trip every 6 to 8 weeks for the same deal. She is the one btw that sugested I start using a saftey razor, but she did not push the ones sold in the store.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. swarden43

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

If you don't tip the barber I wouldn't recommend going back for second shave :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There was a ton of posting going on that week. I'm not surprised you missed it. Frankly, I'm surprised that I remembered it. :)

13. swarden43

I heard a long time ago that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Not that that has anything to do with shaving, but I apply that principle to all places where tipping is common. For me, $15 haircut = $5 tip, and I don't mind paying it; Don never fails to do a great job. He uses a shavette (NJ Law) to clean up the edges. When I get a new job I just may have to inquire about a str8 shave from him. I think they charge $12, but I know it won't include all the pampering that comes with a $50+ shave.

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

True, I don't think everyone knows that a lot of jobs in the US have expected tips factored into the wages. Waiters and waitresses often have hourly wages below minimum wage because they are expected to make up for it in tips. The IRS even requires 8% of their register receipts to be reported as income I believe.