Al's Shaving - A First Impression

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Norseman, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Everywhere I read about Al's shaving Cream, the superlatives are frequently used to describe this product.
    Everybody seems to like this cream. I guess I am no exception, but I am afraid that this creams do not like me.

I purchased the sample pack and have shaved with it three times. Changing scent for each shaves, and test lathering a few others.
    This is a very dense and tight packed cream. I had to pry it out of the container and use a stiff brush to whip up the lather. And it lathers just fine, except for the fact that half of the added cream remains in my shaving mug as a lump of tight packed goo. This is slightly annoying

The scents are original, complex and quite nice. But also slightly overpowering and bordering on nauseous if one is "blessed with an advanced sense of smell".

As mentioned above, I have shaved with it three times, with three different experiences. The first time, the lather was weak and lacking of glide and protection. The second time the lather evaporated between passes and gave me an ok shave, but as always the third time is the charm. The third time gave me a decent lather and a decent shave. Not great, but decent.
    I also experienced a slight burning sensation on the first two occasions. Not enough to rinse it off, just enough to be noticed.

I will have to use it a few more times and see if I can produce a consistent result. This has been a difficult cream to get to know, and although I am an annoying person myself.
    I never thought I would meet a shaving product that mimicked my personality. :)

Thanks for reading

Al\'s.JPG

Al\'s2.JPG

2. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Thanks for filling us in! I'll probably pass on this product, as I'm one of those "blessed with an advanced sense of smell".

3. supershaver

supershaver New Member

I find Al's scents are not overpowering when I use the right amount and your "advanced sense of smell" will enjoy the transitions of the scent during the shave. It is too easy to use too much of Al's creams, the burning sensation and the leftover cream in the bowl are also indicative that you could use less. it is annoying when you canot get things right so I contacted Al and he linked this video ( ) and made some suggestions. Al’s creams have been my favorite since. I bet the same will happen to you once you get this problem sorted out, believe me, it is worthy.

4. Norseman

I have just performed a shave with this cream and this time it was much better. No stinging, the scent was pleasant and just right. I used the Calabria and so far I think this is the best of the lot.
    I have a few more samples to go through, so anything can change. Including my skill at lathering

But so far I am not convinced that it is a better product than creams from Trumper, TOOB, TBS or Proraso, to name a few. It is a more demanding cream that requires more work, but from my meager experience what I give in work is not what I get back in performance (hope that makes sense).

However, I will use up my samples and that will provide me with enough shaves to last a month or so. My skill will hopefully increase, and perhaps my appreciation for this cream as well.
    I do not dislike it, it gives me pretty good shaves and I do agree with the world that the scents are quite original. I just think that it does not live up to its reputation. At least not for me.
    The bomb has never exploded in my shaving bowl, and I have both soaps and creams with more exploding power

For the record, I am not one of those that are "blessed" with an advanced sense of smell. (ok, maybe a little)But my experience with some of the scents did give me enough of an impression that I have no doubt that some people will find it a bit over the top or too perfumed, perhaps. But as always, YMMV

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Norseman

A little update since last time.
    I've tried it a few more times since last time around, and had a few disappointments, but also a great success.
    The latter can be credited to Mr. Al Shaving himself. He made contact and gave me some advice. It also made me see the video posted above one more time. And suddenly it all made sense
    The video, the advice from members of this forum, life, the universe and everything. And it was all so simple. Smear the cream in the bowl, use more water and a stiffer brush

Exactly the same that was mentioned by Mr. Supershaver above and also by Mr. Stroker in a previous SOTD posting. It is all very simple really, but somehow it never quite sunk in.
    Granted I am sleep deprived and haven't had more than a dozen good nights sleep the last 3.5 years, but I didn't think I was that slow on the uptake :)

Anyway, this last shave was nothing short of fabulous. The cream lived up to its name and literally exploded in my bowl. The water/cream ratio needs to be perfected. But still a very good result.
    The shave was nick free, burn free and problem free. No BBS, but I wasn't going for it either.
    A very very enjoyable shave indeed.

I took some pictures. The first was taken before the shave, and covers about half of the produced lather
    The second picture is what was left after the shave. And I applied three thick layers.

AlsPreshave.JPG Al\'s PostShave.JPG

Tdmsu, Aimless1, Billr and 2 others like this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That is some mighty fine looking lather, I must say.

7. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Have you had the opportunity to try the soap? I have been curious about its performance.

8. Norseman

No, I purchased the sample pack, which is a cream only pack

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

After watching the video above. I'll be ordering Al's shaving cream! Seems fail proof.