Altesse Pure Badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Leisureguy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I was at the Carmel Drug Store the other day, and spotted an Altesse Pure Badger. It was just $38, so I decided to give it a go. This morning was the first real use.

Initially it had a somewhat feral smell, not unpleasant, but that's already faded. It felt good on the face, but its coarseness and lack of density resulted in (a) a not very good lather and (b) limited lather capacity. It's an okay brush, but far below a "best".

I can see how a novice, getting one as an inexpensive brush, would find himself questioning his skill at lathering, when much of the problem would be due to the brush itself.

Obviously, as in any review of shaving products, YMMV.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good review, Michael.

I think Bob (peacefrog) might have one of these? [altesse]

In any event, if you are looking for a great brush in the pure/best category (other than the standard, run-of-the-mill C&E BBB), the Muehle Pinsel Best Badger is an Excellent option.

[​IMG]

Available in a wide array of color combinations. :D

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

standard, run of the mill? :eek: A fancy handle does not a brush make even if it does look cool. :p

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The Handle of the Muehle Pinsel isn't fancy, but would be better described as:
    • Functional
    • Ergodynamic
    • User Friendly

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Tell me you didn't copy that from the box. ;)

You know I'm just yanking your chain right? :D I wanted to try one of those brushes but the one time I bought one, the guy tried to flake with the money. I haven't tried since.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Nope, didn't pull if off the box, but I did invent a word: Ergodynamic :D

Actually, it came with no box at all.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ergo = I am (Latin)
    Dynamic = [SIZE=-1]Pertaining to an operation that occurs at the time it is needed rather than at a predetermined or fixed time[/SIZE]

Good job! OK, so what does that have to do with a shave brush? :D

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Well duh! You'll just have to buy one and see :cool:

9. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

No, the brush I picked up in Italy is a Mondial. My new C&E is a far better brush than the Mondial.

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Ah, Ok. Thanks for clearing that up Bob ;)

Oh, I did some digging on the Altesse. They have a model in which the handle "reeks" of Plisson:

[​IMG]

11. Donte'

Donte' New Member

The Altesse Pure was my first brush. I've since purchased a C&E and then a Savile Row Silvertip so I now know what a brush is supposed to be like. When I first used it on soaps it was very, very dissapointing but I thought that was just how all soaps behaved.

It has since gone to good use however as my wife has stolen it for use on her legs. She has great interest in all of my rose scented products now so I imagine I'll have to start hiding other creams from her as well soon.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No, no, no! You are going about it all wrong! :(

You need to learn to share. By sharing, your wife will indulge your ADs, because she'll want to try all the stuff too. More stuff! Yeah!!! :D