Alum and witch hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rob206, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Hey, couple questions. I ordered omegas alum stick and a bottle of witch hazel by Stirling.
    Should I also order an alum bar and thayers witch hazel ?
    Ok I guess just one question

brit likes this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

You are probably good with the Omega Alum. I assume you got the stick which makes it easier to hold onto as opposed to just an alum block. I'm guessing Omega's is also quality alum that was mined in one piece as opposed to alum that has been pressed together. That alum should last you a year or more. No need to get more until you run out. As for witch hazel, unless you are going for scented or witch hazel that doesn't have alcohol in it or with added stuff like aloe, then it's pretty much all the same. I prefer unscented since I use a splash after the witch hazel dries so I don't want any scent to interfere with my aftershave. Again, no need to buy more unless you are looking for variety. Both Omega and Stirling make quality products. You're good to go.

AGHisBBS, Lancre, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Great, thank you sir

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i use the omega stick and thayers, all are good..

Rob206 likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The question is do you want an alcohol free witch hazel or not? I personally use alcohol free since the alcohol dries out the skin. If you want alcohol free then Thayers it is unless you know of someone else who makes an alcohol free version.

Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  6. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Making your own is as easy as making tea. Bulk leaf and bark are about $5 per 1/4#...cheap! Run your finished witch hazel tea through a coffee filter a couple times.

Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just to chime in with a suggestion... whatever alum you decide on, it might be worth making sure that it's potassium alum and not ammonium alum. The ammonium form is man-made and often a little less expensive. But, for some, it is also more likely to cause skin irritation.

The potassium form is natural and doesn't typically cause a problem.

If you don't have sensitive skin, you're probably in the clear either way. Both forms work the same.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I think it was after my 3rd shave with my new shavette I realised I was gonna need a styptic pencil, I remembered always being one in our bathroom cabinet when I was a boy, and was unsure if they were still made, happily they were, from then I discovered the benifit of a alum block...which I purchased immiedately, both are good imo, I now always run the block all over the shaving area after my final face rinse...it can sting a little but not much.

Robert.
    Ps. I got witch hazel too..no alcohol..but it has a unpleasant smell...not like strong or vile, just not nice.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I like and use Bloc Osma Alum blocks. They are kinda small, but solid and affordable. Made in France I believe.

10. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I got a crystal deodorant for alum, it was really cheep at publix, i also just use Publix distilled witch hazel. It does have a funky smell but it goes away pretty quickly. May not be the fanciest but it works.

11. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I just got the Crystal at Shop-Rite for $1.49. They were closing them out at$2.49 and they had $1.00 off coupons.

Killerflyingbugs and Robert1955 like this.
  12. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Nice score!