Alum spray

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Omelmad, May 7, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hi

Has anyone used something like this? An alum spray deodorant.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399451400.502041.jpg

My girlfriend just bought it to use as a deo. But it should do the same as using an alum block or stick.

This is the same brand in stick form.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399451497.103436.jpg

I have not tried it yet, but I will. And if I like it, then I will buy another for SWMBO =P

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard there are two types of alum, just can't remember what they are.
    If I remember correctly, only one is suitable to use on your face. The other suitable as a deodorant.

As this is marketed for your pits, I wouldn't advise using it as an aftershave.

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I haven't used that product. However, I dissolve alum into water spray it on my face instead of rubbing an alum block. It works well.

4. Omelmad

Good thing I asked first. But I might try it out of curiosity. If I get a rash I will post pic for your amusement. So u can say I told u so hahaha

macaronus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I'm with this guy :)

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That alum spray also makes a good foot spray.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I know people love and swear by alum as God's Mystery Cure and Magical Rock, but I can't stand it and suggest everyone take a good hard look at how well it really works as a deoderant.

I'm sure someone will hit me on the head for this, but if you use a crystal deoderant... you smell. You probably smell pretty bad. I had a roommate who did it.He smelled really bad. My mother inlaw used to, until she finally believed it when people told her she smelled. I tried it for a week, knowing that I would smell. When I knew after a week that I smelled, I stopped. Why are hippies smelly? Becaue they use crystal deoderant.

Granted, if you put it on and just sit in one spot and don't perspire at all, it may work. But if you do anything that actually causes you to break a sweat, you are going to smell bad. For some reason, you're going to smell worse than if you weren't wearing anything.

8. Omelmad

I know =) I have a subscription on something that's called The man box. I got a foot spray in the last box =) I like it, it smells nice but I don't know how well it works cuz I don't usually smell bad. Maybe in the summer It will be put to the test

9. Omelmad

I will test that theory. I tried it once. But I cheated and applied some old spice deodorant on top....

If my girlfriend starts to smell I'm gonna tell her hahaha

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It also reduces the chance of getting Athlete's foot, to which I am prone.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why are hippies smelly? Becaue they use crystal deodorant.

And a whole bunch of other reasons..

dscaver and WetShaveObsession like this.
  12. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I am still laughing.
    There is also the medical contingent that think alum is responsible for contributing to the onset of Alzheimer's disease. True or not I have no idea whatsoever.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

Having worked part-time at many Grateful Dead shows. I know first hand what hippies smell like. Nothing against the Dead. Just the funky Dead Heads. I need to research alum and Alzheimer's.

SDK likes this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I believe they're trying to link aluminum and Alzheimers, not alum. Food and water stored in aluminum containers can cause a reaction, which I believe is where the controversy is on that one.

15. RaZorBurn123

Alzheimer's really scares the heck out of me. My mom has Parkinson's.

16. Omelmad

I was not sure what athlete's foot was. So I googled it...

Not gonna show the picture but the description was "
    A severe case of athlete's foot" Why did I google it.

I hope you've found a way to prevent it. I know you're a teacher. Standing in your feet for 8 hours is not helping I guess

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

There are two forms: potassium alum and ammonium alum. Both do the same thing and can be used interchangeably for pits or face. The ammonium form, however, is man-made and some react to it with a rash. Thus, the potassium form (which is natural) is the preferred form.

Omelmad and swarden43 like this.
  18. richgem

I use a roll on version made by Lafe.

19. richgem

Correct. However, coincidence does not equal causality. There is still no proof that aluminum anything causes Alzheimers. It may just be that Alzheimer's brains collect aluminum in an unusual way.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  20. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've known people over the years too who have used and sworn by crystals for deodorant. I've also had my suspicion about a few folks too who reaked of BO. How can they not smell that????