Alum spray

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Omelmad, May 7, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Well, alum under my pits lets me go scent-less for app. 24 hours, even after hard work.

Just ask my wife, she has a picky nose and any odor will be noticed.

I apply it generously.

Works for me 100%.

RaZorBurn123 and Omelmad like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Crystal-type deos do not work for everyone due to body chemistry. Also, this type of deo doesn't actually kill odor, but rather inhibits the bacteria that causes the odor. Therefore, it needs to be applied to clean / bacteria free pits immediately after washing for best results.

Omelmad likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think it's partially that people can't smell themselves, and then also some peopl can't tell how strongly they smell. It's like people who bathe in perfume, I don't think they realize you can smell them from 100 yards away, I think they probably believe they put on a suitable and subtle amount.

Omelmad and richgem like this.
  4. richgem

I believe the term is "olfactory overload" or something like that. Basically, you get burned out on your own scent (good or bad) and don't notice it any more.

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Smell works on a change system. A constant smell will "disappear" from your senses after a while.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What I don't understand is why, with all the products out there specifically designed for the face and shaving, anyone in their right would insist on buying and using a product designed for something else. I just don't get it. If your gonna buy something for the shave anyway...

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. richgem

At least in the case of alum block, it's a great space saver when packing... after shave, deo, and old tyme barbers would use it as a hair dressing for crew cuts (it works nicely, btw).

swarden43 likes this.
  8. swarden43

Yup. I can pack an extra pair of underwear in the space I would have used for my pit stick :happy102:

9. swarden43

And do you really want to rub an alum block all over your face after you've been rubbing it in your pits?:sick007:

Omelmad likes this.
  10. richgem

Clearly, you've never miscounted while packing. :eek:

Face first, then pits. Rinse before reuse. :p

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. There are are too many shaving products that I'd like to try before trying to find a substitute outside the shaving world. I think it's just one of those YMMV things, also mixed with the experimenter mindset a lot of people in this hobby have.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just common sense stuff- put some foot powder in my socks & use a good foot spray. Also, wear socks made of natural fibers.

13. richgem

But, not with sandals!

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Never! Why hide my cute little bunny tootsies?

Omelmad likes this.
  15. richgem

[​IMG]

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Sara-s like this.
  16. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha I hate entering an elevator after someone has been there that just blasted themselves with perfume. Disgusting

17. Omelmad

If I for some reason smell, I always notice

18. Omelmad

I get your point this can feel a bit disgusting =P but you're gonna rinse it well first of course. But maybe That's what the SPRAY is for =)

19. Omelmad

Just gotta love the different conversations in this thread.

Hippies smells bad for a lot of reasons, one of them alum deo

They say to much of anything may cause cancer. Aluminum and Alzheimer's can have a connection but that may take 100 years to prove. Also Alzheimer's is a really nasty disease, and Parkinson's too for that matter

Personally, I think it's weird not to know that you smell bad or have to much perfume

I tried the alum spray as extra protection, not that I need it but it's good just in case. But I'm gonna test it by itself just to know

Using alum on your pits and then face may feel weird or disgusting but you're using it after the shower hopefully you're as clean as you can be then and also you can rinse before use

I hope I never get athletes foot, but if I do I know how to prevent it.

I never use socks with sandals.

Hmmm... Is that a paw? @richgem

20. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

One thing my dad told me growing up that turned out to be corroborated by a Discovery Channel show about puberty is that most armpit smell is bacteria growing in your armpit hair. My dad always trimmed his armpit hair and it seems to work. You still have to wear deodorant but it definitely cuts down on the BO.
    By far the best deodorant I ever used was Mitchum Anti-Bacterial Antiperspirant. The purported 48 hours of protection was true for me. I think it was discontinued because I haven't been able to find it for years.