Alzheimer's Sucks!!!!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Nov 27, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My 81 yr old father has been dealing with it, for a few years, on a very slow decline. His wife just broke her hip, 6 days ago, and it threw him into a tailspin. He can hardly find his way around his neighborhood. I drove down to take care of them, the day after, and it is very very difficult. It was so bad, my brother and I confiscated all his guns, and ammo, for his safety. We also put a lock on his Kawasaki Concours 1400 motorcycle. He is completely ticked off about the guns, but hasnt figured out the motorcycle yet. I've been shuttling him around every day, and have to be adamant about him not driving a car.
    So, Alzheimer's Sucks.

gorgo2, Shaver X, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes, yes it does. My mother suffered from dementia, but not Alzheimer's. Watching a loved one lose their memory and sense of self is a tough thing to do. My thoughts are with you.

kjbarth, RyX, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sorry to hear this. In my current job, we deal with many types of Dementia, Alzheimer's being just one. Stay strong.

kjbarth, lightcs1776, RyX and 4 others like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

You have my empathy. My granddad had alzhemiers. It was hard to watch. I recall him ready to fight me when I went to give my grandmother a hug. It really shook me up. I will pray for you, your grandfather, and your family. If you are so inclined, there are support groups out there that may help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kjbarth, RyX, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Not my Grandfather. My father. He has been like me, most of his life. Big, and very athletic, SMU football Captain and all American. Played tennis several days a week, airplane pilot, Capt in Air Force, dentist, built his own plane, and very independent. Now, he cannot find his way around his own neighborhood, all within a couple of months, or more like one week.

kjbarth, RyX and brit like this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes, I realize it is your dad, and it must be far harder in that circumstance. Please keep us updated. I know it is a tough situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Are you familiar with Pick's????? That's what my Dad died from-for years we thought it was Alzheimer's.

kjbarth, DaltonGang, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

It isnt Picks. It is Alzheimer's. He has all the symptoms. Just like his mother, but she was 94.

kjbarth, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Well, yes...right...Pick's is slightly different but not by much. I'm sorry you're dealing with it. Can you find a good support group?

kjbarth, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Our best friend's sister died of Pick disease. It is devastating.

11. Paul Turner

Oh man........send him/her my condolences please.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you, Paul.

13. brit

brit in a box

i hope things go as smoothly as they can sir,

kjbarth and DaltonGang like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I agree. Alzheimer's sucks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, Scott. My dad suffered from it as well. We were visiting one day and he just sat there staring at me. Totally stink eye. My mom asked him “do you know who that is? “. He said he didn’t. He pointed to my wife and asked if he knew who that was. He replied “ yeah, that’s Keith’s wife” Sad, but kinda humorous at the same time.

16. Paul Turner

You're welcome Joseph-I had never heard of that before my Mom and I received my Dad's death certificate.

kjbarth likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Sure does.

kjbarth likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Been in the situation with my grandmother. Hers was a gentle decade long decline into dementia. Rather than her rent a room in a home, she stayed with my crew and lived happily to 98. Soon my folks will need more assistance than I can provide. I'm glad for the long life opportunity that medicine provides. The science is still catching up to deal with folks living longer.

Set a good example for your kids & grandkids. One day we all may need a strong compassionate hand to assist us.

kjbarth and lightcs1776 like this.
  19. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Absolutely horendous illness, having to sit helpless and watch what once was a strong person deteriorate into a helpless soul...stay strong.

kjbarth likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. The good thing is that we all know what to expect, and we all have dealt with it before, with other family members, or with our jobs. But, it is still harder, when it is one of your parents. More exhausting than anything. It's odd to see your father become child like, emotionally. Also, I know the hardest parts are yet to come.