Am I a Schick Man?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old Spice, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Old Spice

Old Spice Well-Known Member

So I just got my second shave in with a minty Schick Krona I won on eBay. And wow, what a shave!

I had read nearly unanimous good reviews of these 60's/70's era razors and they weren't kidding. This TTO razor has a long, tapered plastic handle which I found easy to maneuver and grip. The weight is nearly all in the head, but I didn't find it hard to find the right angle or pressure. I shaved with a Trig blade, which is from Treet blade company and it was just super smooth and not very aggressive. I'd measure it a 3 out of 10 on aggressiveness. I never felt threatened by the blade and I was able to move quickly. I was left with a baby smooth face and zero irritation. I didn't even feel the alum block!:)

Maybe I am a Schick man!:drool:

Enrico, jwr3265, Terry and 3 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The Schick Krona is one of the finest (yet underrated) vintage razors ever produced.
    Easy to find and always affordable.

Lancre, DaltonGang and Old Spice like this.
  3. Old Spice

I think you're right. It really is a beautiful shaver. I think it'll be a good everyday driver because it's so easy on the face. And yeah, they're plentiful and go for anywhere between 10 and 30 bucks which is a steal to get such a nice shave. I paid $28, which is on the high end because it's in mint condition and has the Schick Krona stamped in the doors.

Since it's so non-aggressive, maybe I should try a sharper blade in it like a Feather. I find Feather blades for be to sharp in my other razors, but maybe they'll work in the Krona. What do you think?:confused:

John Beeman likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No one here can answer that question, only your face can.
    Never know until you try.

chazt, Lancre and Old Spice like this.
  5. Old Spice

Your correct on that.

I'll give it a go on my next shave. I figured the razor is pretty mild, so maybe the sharper blade might work well in it. Heck, I have a 50 pack of Feathers I have to use up somehow. I bought them when I first started DE shaving, thinking the sharper the better! NOT!!!:eek:

Lancre and Ron R like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From what others have said they have discovered, the sharper blades seem to pair better with the more aggressive razors. Sounds counter intuitive, I know, but they claim it to be so.

Old Spice likes this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have heard more people praise the Krona razors than talk negative about them over the last 7 years. It is similar to Gillette super speeds but folks really enjoy the slightly tapered handle I believe.

Old Spice likes this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I use Feathers in my Kronas but I also use them in all of my razors. Give it a go.

I will add that I prefer the older Krona with the metal knob over the newer ones with the plastic knob. But the difference is quite minimal.

Old Spice likes this.
  9. Old Spice

Yeah, I'll give the Feathers a go in this razor and see what it's like. What's the worst that can happen, a nic or a little irritation? Been there! Besides, I have 50 of the Feathers, so I'd like to use em if I can.

John Beeman likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on scoring the Krona, and welcome to this fun hobby!

As your technique improves, the Feather blades (most any blade actually) will work great in any DE razor. Consider joining the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread, and those fine gentlemen will help you with your technique.

When I started 10 years ago, I was taking 4 passes to get a good shave...and the nicks and irritation that went along with it. Now my daily two-passers are comfortable and consistently near BBS regardless of the setup I'm using. It took some time and practice, and I discovered a few game changers in my technique along the way. You will get there too. :)

Trigger, Old Spice and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Old Spice

Thanks, and thanks for the tip as well. I'll check those guys out.:)

Trigger and wristwatchb like this.
  12. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Congrats and thank you! I’d forgotten about my trusty EverSharp Eagle Krona.

Pulled it out for tomorrow’s shave. This one seems to be harder to find. Gray handle, metal knob, and cool eagle on the tip.

Picture forthcoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico and Old Spice like this.
  13. Old Spice

Glad my thread reminded you of your Krona!

Enjoy the shave, I'm sure it's going to be a great one, so let us know how it goes!:)

jwr3265 likes this.
  14. jwr3265

EverSharp Eagle…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Old Spice

So I gave the Feather a go in my Krona and it was a NoGo, non bueno, ruh roh, NG experience.:sad024:

I hacked up my neck pretty good and after 2 passes I needed more than the usual touch up. That surprised me the most. I figured it would have been butter after 2 passes, but not so much really. The Treet was closer and more comfortable. The alum block stung today!

@swarden43 maybe you're onto something. Sharper may not be better in milder razors. Of course this isn't scientific by any means, but I guess it backs up your point somewhat.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks Charlie for the vote of confidence on the 30 DC thread. God bless.

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. Trigger

Hi Spice. Welcome to The Shave Den. I oversee the 30 DC group thread. Look for the title, 30 Day Rule/ Focus; April 2024. All Are Welcome! It will be under the general category of Shave School.

Old Spice and wristwatchb like this.
  18. jwr3265

Nice shave this morning with the EverSharp. Fresh Personna Platinum.

Used some of my sample SV Desert Vetiver and a PAA synthetic.

Fairly smooth for a vintage. I’m guessing better on the second shave.

BBS nonetheless.

Old Spice and Enrico like this.
  19. Old Spice

Roger, thanks for the invite!

I can use some schooling because I'm certainly not a wet shaving guru yet!

Trigger likes this.
  20. Trigger

:eatdrink047: