Am I missing anything

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SDK, Apr 9, 2014.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

As part of the ongoing quest for my personal perfect shave, I am ready to try straights. I have been doing a lot of reading here, and have the following gear on the way:

A shave ready straight from a reputable seller on a different forum.

A poor mans strop kit from Whipped Dog.

I want to try this after a relaxing shower this Sunday night. I am looking for tips on a couple of fronts:

1- Is there anything else I need to buy and have ready for Sunday that is straight razor specific? I have plenty of good quality DE wet shaving gear.

2- There are a million stropping videos out there. Can anybody recommend one that they really like? I want to take excellent care of this razor from the first shave on.

3- Any "first shave" tips that are near and dear to your heart would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance. the amount of help I have received here has been incredible.....

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

First shaves with a straight usually go better after several drinks to "steady the nerves". I don't recommend shaving your own face after several drinks though! Volunteer a friend instead...

SDK likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Do you have a ride to the hospital all lined up?

SDK likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some tips I'd like to share having ventured down the Straight (& Narrow) path not too long ago:

1. Don't rush it. Start with simple short, downward strokes on the cheeks (from sideburn to jaw line) and call it a day. Don't try and do a complete 3-pass shave the 1st time.
    2. STRETCH the skin—the area you intend on shaving. Use the other hand to pull taut the area to be shaved.
    3. Watch your blade angle. Keep the top (spine) of the blade relatively close to your face so the angle remains shallow.
    4. Don't be overly timid. You're shaving, so at least be be determined in what you are doing.
    5. Pay attention! Easy to be distracted at first, so keep a keen eye on what you are actually doing with the blade.
    6. Keep your head still during the actual shaving action. Too many moving parts (hand ,razor, head) can lead to a cut.
    7. Don't forget to breathe. You don't want to pass out from lack of oxygen with a razor in-hand. ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    vwp528, gssixgun, SDK and 1 other person like this.
  5. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

:signs011:

SDK likes this.
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Check out Lynn Abrams videos on youtube, he has a beginner straight razor shaving video that is pretty informative as well as several excellent stropping videos. If there's anyone to teach stropping, it should be the man who's honed 50,000+ razors ;)

HolyRollah, SDK and Williams Warrior like this.
  7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Unwitting victim.... Check!

[​IMG]

Life Alert...... Check!

[​IMG]

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Justin and Kevin- thanks for all the great advice. I will try my best to not embarrass you guys by lopping off an earlobe!

9. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

This is great advice!
    In addition, make sure your bathroom door is closed and no one (especialy a big pet) can barge in. I've had some close calls and came close to injury in my small bathroom.

Next, do not be discouraged if the shave is "less than perfect" and you have to clean up with a DE. It takes time for technique to be developed so your first few shaves may require addition passes. Your beard also requies time to get used to the new blade.

Good Luck

SDK and vwp528 like this.
  10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks Joe! Will make sure I do after the kids go to bed. My son tackling me is probably the biggest potential threat....

11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Here are some pictures. It came in looking as described and appears in great condition overall. I can't get it to pop off any arm hairs out of the box, so I am going to have to wait for the strop kit and do some work. Fortunately, I do know a bit about working with blades (probably just enough to screw it up lol).

If I don't get it to the point that I am feeling warm and fuzzy, I am going to just send it out for a honing. I want to do this right and am willing to be patient. Any info about the razor itself would be welcome. Enjoy the pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]