Am I supposed to put oil on my straight razors between uses?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 7055, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

Am I supposed to put oil on the blade or vaseline or something?

Billyfergie and Rusty blade like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't, but that doesn't mean I'm right. Haven't noticed any rust in 6+ years.

Billyfergie and Rusty blade like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Only time I would consider putting anything oil or coating on my SR blades was if…

1. I lived in an environment were there was very high humidity such as on or near the equator and the blades were exposed;
    2. I plan on not using them for a significant amount of time, and 1.
    3. I ship them to customers via the USPS as a added measure of protection.

I dry each blade and scales thoroughly after each use and have never had any issues with rust or water stains.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I sometimes use a very light coat of oil. Mostly on blades meant to be put away a while. Florida can be very humid, i towel (tissue dry) then air dry on shelf (away from the vanity) then store in a box with a handful of silica packs.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I do the same. No problems with rust. I will add I do 10 laps on linen and 15 on leather after I shave to make sure the edge is dry and clean.

Billyfergie and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This was my typical 'end-of'-shave' routine, but more recently I've take to applying a good 10-12 second blast of hot air from a wall-mounted blow dryer to throughly dry the blade & scales, paying particular attention to the pivot point (hinge). Fast & efficient.

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: all of it

The only addition I can add

I have seen some really dumb moves by people in the name of "Rust Prevention" the biggest thing to remember is that there are two major parts of the razor

# The steel
    #2 The scales

They are different :)

Long term storage, which I define as over 2 weeks seems to be where the issues start, the scales can really not react well some of these Rust Preventives so be careful
    The steel and Natural Oils,,, many of the oils that are recommended are NOT good for long term storage,

My recommendation for long term is NO OILS,, and the use of what is called VCI paper...

Rusty blade, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Very Costly Insurance" Paper? :D
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  9. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

I use a light coat of mineral oil after every shave...even on my horn scales that do get dry if not treated too. My bathroom gets steamy when I shower and my beloved razors are stored in a drawer in my bathroom sink. There's water everywhere from brushing my teeth, washing my hands. It's been my experience that water can't wait to get on stuff it's not supposed to be on. A bottle of mineral oil is $5 at the local drugstore. Seems like cheap peace of mind.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Peace of mind is important.
    :happy088:

marbert likes this.