American Artisan Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bayercy, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Dear Gentlemen,
    I would like to hear your recommendations about Artisan soaps from USA.
    There are a lot of choices and it is hard to pick one. I have never tried an artisan soap before but SV soaps only. I am thinking to get one of Soap commander or Stirlings' soaps from Maggard Razors site.
    I like citrus and menthol. I do not want to try another floral scented or barbershop scent soaps.
    Because of the shipping cost and some troubles at Turkish customs , i will buy only one soap. That is why i should choose carefully.
    Soap Commander Respect
    Stirling MITA
    Stirling Lemon Chill
    Or something you could advice to me.
    Thank you for your replies.

RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

stirling lemon chill is fantastic if you like menthol..

Paul Turner and bayercy like this.
  3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I like the firmer artisans like Mickey Lee, Southern Witchcrafts, and Stirling

Some other soaps that are very highly regarded are Declaration Grooming, Murphy and McNeil, Noble Otter, Barrister and Mann, Grooming Dept, and Wholly Kaw

edit: for citrus and menthol you can't go wrong with Stirling, my personal recommendation there would be Orange Chill

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

There is also a Maggard-branded Orange Menthol soap, and Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle

Yehuda D, bayercy and brit like this.
  5. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Great recommendations in @ghostlife 's post above... my other additions to that list would be Cold River Soap Works and Mike's Natural Soaps, or Tallow & Steel if you're open to soaps from our friends to the north ;-)

Mickey Lee is closed down unfortunately, but there might be one or two retailers with some of their stuff still in stock.

6. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Stirling was the first artisan soap brand that I tried, and it has met and surpassed everything I had hoped for. As a result, I have a large collection of Stirling soaps and haven’t tried other brands yet.

Stirling MITA is one of my very favorite warm weather soaps and could become my “only” in that category if I was forced to. Stirling soap tubs are also 5.8 ounces, which means more shaves for your troubles in getting it to your front door.

Obviously I’m all-in for Stirling. Others may be equal or theoretically better (I can’t imagine that), but I stand behind my endorsement with confidence. Good luck with your search.

7. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Thank you for your advices, Gentlemen.
    I will probably get Stirling Lemon Chill Soap. Yesterday i could not stop myself and purchased another classic scented shaving cream, TOBS Cedarwood. The only mentholed soap i have is Proraso. That Stirling Lemon Chill Soap would be my best for hot days. Probably i will use it anyday not only sunmers.
    Thank you again.

brit, RyX, Yehuda D and 1 other person like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've been pleasantly surprised with the shaves I get using two soaps from Texas: Central Texas Soaps and The Soap Exchange. I just got my second CTS soap(both best in the cold weather, IMO).

brit and bayercy like this.