Americans in Europe (weather temp guide).

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by mikewood, Jun 8, 2017.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I try to travel to Europe every year or two and spend a week or two there. It's a great vacation but I always had trouble making sense of the Celsius scale on weather maps. So I came up with this simple way to remember what is what. We know 82F is 28C but that doesn't help much.

Three numbers helps a lot more. 10, 25, 30. Then you can extrapolate out a good relative temperature. 25 is comfortable. If you see any temp in the 20's it's going to be comfortable 10 is cool (50F) and anything in the single digits is very cold. 30 is warm. Anything in the 30's is very warm and anything in the 40's is hot.

C - F
    40-104 hot
    30-86. Warm
    27-80. Comfortable
    25-74. Comfortable
    20-68. Comfortable
    10-50. Cool
    0-32. Cold

This helps me a lot when glancing at a weather map in a foreign language.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Screwtape, Keithmax, Yehuda D and 3 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Accuweather has an app that works worldwide, giving me local data in English units while traveling. I just used it with success on a recent UK visit.

3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The first time I ever went to Florida in my life was when I was in my thirties. When we were about to land the pilot announced, "Ladies and gentlemen we are making our final descent into Miami International Airport. Weather conditions are beautiful with mostly sunny skies and a temperature of 77 degrees." When I heard 77 degrees I nearly flipped because I only knew about Celsius from living there, then in Greece and from travelling throughout Europe, the Orient and a couple of places in Africa. My uncle said "Relax, it's like Haifa in late April. The US uses a different type of temperature scale." Hell, in Israel during the summer the temperatures range from 33 Celsius in Haifa, my hometown. It's located on the Mediterranean Sea in the northern part of Israel to as high as 44 Celsius in Eilat which is in the extreme south of the country on the northern part of the Red Sea. In the winter Israel is rainy, windy, damp, and cool in the north and the temperatures are between 11 Celsius in Haifa and around 25 Celsius with sunny skies very often, give or take in Eilat.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

0 is freezing
    100 is boiling water

Simple

To be fair, I cannot make sense of Fahrenheit either. What saves me is a handy unit converter on my cellphone.

Yehuda D likes this.