An Ever Ready Razor Find At The Antique Store

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I picked up this cool Ever Ready razor at an antique store for $9.00 while we were visiting the beach. It seems to be in real good shape for an older razor.

I personally don't know the year of the razor and my quess would be the 1940 era.

(Update)

Heck it could be even 1920 or 1930 era after doing some research and looking at the bottom of the razor and how the cast piece that the handle threads into is on this razor. I am seeing 1920 and 1930 era Ever-Ready razors done the same way as the one I got according to the pic's out there online.

If anyone knows the year please let me know it would be appreciated.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2970.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Ever Ready 1924 "Shovelhead" SE.

A search here or Google will bring up a plethora of topics on this wonderful razor.

Bill G likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

$9.00 is a nice price .

Bill G likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: I have never used one, but I've heard they give a very nice shave. Glad to see all your tabs are in place, sometimes they get damaged or are missing. Now all you need are some Treat or Gem blades to take it for a shave. :shaver

Bill G likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That razor was patented in 1924 and as such they are known as 1924 and also a shovelhead. I don't recall the time frame that they were manufactured but I bet @riverrun or @jmudrick might know. To me they are one of the more aggressive gem style razors.

Bill G likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Pat Applied For makes it an early 1924 shovelhead. Good find and great price.

Bill G, Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  7. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Thank you my Friend.

Bill G

8. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the information. All this is great and very informative.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

9. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Awsome....

Thank you Sir
    Bill G

10. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The 1924 was actually patented in 1909 in Great Britain.
    The name on the patent (and later patents for similar razors) is Julius Bueno de Mesquita although I have my doubts that he actually designed the razor. He was an advertising- and businessman, not an inventor, but I might do him an injustice - I've done a bit of research on him and he was a very interesting person. Inventor or not.
    The razor was later (1915, 1924, 1925) patented in the US. If there is no patent number on it I'd guess it's pre-1924 (as @Jayaruh already said).

Bill G and Enrico like this.
  11. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Great information.

Thanks,
    Bill G

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

First safety razor I ever used after coming off nothing but carts. Absolutely not a good choice for an inexperienced shaver to use, but very good with practice.

Bill G likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All of the examples of the US Shovelhead I've seen say Patent Applied For, even though, as you note there were three patents available during its production. The patent drawings suggest the pillar style base likely preceded the flush style.

Photo below is not mine, from a good thread at TOST.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    brit, wchnu and Bill G like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

TOST didjasay?

Bill G and jmudrick like this.
  15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Quick update,

I picked up some GEM/Persona stainless blades and gave the old Ever-Ready shovel head a try. Well it gave me a great shave I can not complain at all considering the price ($9.00) and the over all condition of the razor for its age.

Thanks again everyone for all the great information concerning the Ever-Ready razor.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Enrico and jmudrick like this.