An ID question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I scored this on Sunday. I think it is a double ring from the 1900s. It has no serial number which puts it prior to 1920 and no Pat pend date. The Gillette Arrow is less than 1/8" at its widest point.

This is in near mint cond. It has a small hairling fracture near the head where they always fracture. Other than that there is no brassing, plate loss, or other signs of wear. $3 can't be beat.

razor 003.jpg

razor 002.jpg

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'll have to leave the IDing to the experts, but that's a nice $3 pick-up! :happy088

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Old type standard.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

1900 - 1915?

Is that the date range?

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Mhmm. Old type. I believe they were made for the thicker old type blades and you would need to shim the razor to use it, otherwise your left with an enormous blade gap.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Funny I shaved with it this morning and I only lost part of my upper lip.

Seriously. It shave just fine. Red Personnas.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

you really don't need to shim them. They are somewhat aggressive, but great shavers as they come. I don't know for sure, but I think dating would be somewhere between 1906 and 1925ish. open her up and check on the inner part of the barrel. It may have a SN there, or where the blade sits. If you can find a serial number I can be much more assistance. ;)

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

No number anywhere. I checked everywhere that is visible. So I'll go 1906. So I can have a 100 year old shave.

Agression was not an issue. A Better shave than the 1920 ball ends that I have, not as good as the unmarked German.

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

a crack in an old type handle. dont see that everyday.

edit: rodd, i cam across a fellow on ebay once that had an old type, 1911 it was, that had no SN, and i know trumperman on SMF.com has one that has no SN.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

D.Irving is really the man to ask. He knows more about the Old Type Gillettes than I ever will. He is also the go to man for Gems and Ever Readys.

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ill take the last part ;)