Anachronisms: A Life Spent Going Back in Time

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PLANofMAN, May 24, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have always had a fascination for old things. It started when I was a child growing up on a horse ranch listening to my father talk about old cars and learning about my family history. When I was fourteen, I joined an American Civil War reenactor's group, The Northwest Civil War Council (NCWC). During my lengthy stay with them I gained an appreciation for cigars, pipes, homemade berry brandy, wool and leather goods and all things vintage. I've since gained an appreciation for fresh pressed apple cider, hand churned ice cream, fresh ground coffee, and real maple syrup.

I don't look on the past with a sense of nostalgia- I like computers, microwaves, cars, and refrigerators, but sometimes I like to take a day without things that plug in or have buttons.

What about you guys?

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

No question about it. It wasn't until much later that I appreciated my grandparents sitting out on their porch. I finally realized they weren't doing it just because they were old and tired, but it was their way of greeting people as they came up and down the street, meeting with old friends, and the like. As many advancements in communication as we have, it certainly doesn't feel like we're necessarily as connected these days. I've tried similar strategies around here, and people just look at you funny when you wave and say hi.

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop anytime soon. There's something to be said for living the life you want to live despite others' decisions. For my part, I want to be kind, friendly, fun, and loving. Those qualities never go out of style.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It seems the nature of the human condition is to form links with the past.. hence the love for antiques and such. I definitely feel that old stuff has a place in the modern world..in fact the antiquated may be an essential additive in a healthy modern society. Though maybe I'm a bit biased since I'm kinda vintage myself..;)

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I enjoy learning about history, especially our nations history. I moved to Arkansas eight years ago, it has been so much fun learning about the past here.
    I enjoying using vintage fountain pens.

5. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! We have automatic washers and dryers and dishwashers today. I remember my grandmother using a wringer washer and sometimes a washboard. Laundry and dishwashing was a time consuming activity not too many years ago. Always, Gene