And now for something diffrent

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Will, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Barbasol

Yes Barbasol

The one in the blue and red can that cost about 2 bucks... I am talkin' Barbasol

My shave routine for the past few weeks has been nutting but that (I did not want to lug a ton of gear to the Academy with me).

Wake up

Hot water splash

Barbasol

Merkur HD w/ Walgreens blade......yes Walgreens

1 pass WTG

Hot water splash

Barbasol

1 pass ATG

Fin

No aftershave............ well Velva when I was felling frisky.

BEST SHAVE EVER!!!!!!

I don't know how, I don't know why, it just works.

I am going to see if it lathers better with a brush. :cool:

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I've come to the same conclusion with my newest brushless, Skin Milk. Excellent shaves....whodathunkit?

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yeah, who'd a thunk? I'll take your word for it, though. I'm content to not use stuff from a can. However, if I ever find myself needing to, like you did, I'll keep that in mind...

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

What works for you,works and it doesnt matters that its Barbasol,brushless creams,Macth 3 or Fusion... works and thats it.I havent seen Barbasol here for too long now,just canned Noxema with a freaking expensive price 9,95e (like 14 dollars) for 300ml.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's great. The big thing that pushed me into wet shaving was my skin reacting to everything I could buy in a can. The strange thing is that I don't react to much of anything else on my face (except sun screens). If the canned goo worked that well for me, I'd use it. Shave well.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Its an excellent product Will don't get me wrong. I just preferr creams that can lather in a bowl since non-lathering ones are far to messy. I don't like having the cream all over my hands when I get done, the lathering ones are a bit cleaner.

7. freddy88

freddy88 Member

+1 Teiste :happy088

8. herzi

herzi Active Member

I like the brushless barbasol. The only one not in a can ;)

It simply works.

9. Jonnie

Jonnie New Member

Thanks for a great post!

Using Barbasol for a DE shave - exactly what I was wondering about and somehow missed this one. I'm going to Scout camp next week and was wondering if it would work since I have a full can. Sounds like it would work great but in the end I'm taking some other advice and going with a small tube of CO Bigelow that I can get locally and a cheap VDH. That way I can do a demo for the boys of how to do a really good shave.

I can see it now, all the other Dads mad cause I showed this - who cares? What are they gonna do? Give me razor burn with their electrics?? I got a DE now! I can get them coming and going! But I won't. With great power comes great responsibility. And it is Scouts after all.

10. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Best shave ever? Wow!!

Congrats!

:sport001

11. freddy88

freddy88 Member

:happy001

12. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

oh but it matters to me. I'm Batmanuel.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

You have to let us know how it works out teaching and other dads reactions.

Maybe I jumped the gun a tad but yea, a great shave. Been using it every day now and have no complaints. Well, the brush dose not work with it alone but it works great if you mix in a little Williams Mug Soap or other soap, stick combo you like.

Is that you John Wayne, is this me?

14. Philq

Philq New Member

I have seen it for 99 cents here in Chicago. May be I should give it a try???

15. Jonnie

Jonnie New Member

Back from camp. What a week. Heavy to moderate rain all day Tuesday. Anyway, I had to get up about an hour earlier than the boys to make sure I was ready for them and the day. I did a short demo for some of them and they seemed to think it was kind of neat using the brush - let them all lather their faces a bit to feel what it was like. They are young enough that they aren't obsessed with starting to shave because they are now "Men" so weren't as interested in shaving in general. Had one of the other dads watching and he seemed to think I was nuts for going through all that trouble for multiple passes and all. I explained that yes, it was a bit more time but that by doing the multiple passes instead of trying to get it all in one pass I could actually get a closer shave with no irritation. He seemed kind of interested then but still probably not enough to try it yet.

So to summarize: The kids weren't interested in shaving yet and just wanted to go shoot BB's and Arrows. The one leader was intrigued but not enough yet to try it but the seed is planted for a convert.

At least I was clean shaven all week with no irritation (from the shave :D ).

16. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hey Jonnie, it's a start! :happy088

17. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

canned foam with a DE

Yes, it most definitely works. The key is to combine the foam with as much water it can handle without having starting to drip down your face. Also, rub a bunch of it on your face as a preshave...makes the blade glide even better. Brush is optional but I do personally do use one as the brush, after soaking it in water for a few seconds, helps to hydrate the foam as you brush it on your face. Also, the other individuals on the forum here are exactly right in saying to re-lather after each pass, although I'm guilty of doing a few short strokes here and there without re-lathering, but that's another advantage of using foam as a pre-shave, there's still a little of it in your face. I personally find whether you are using soap or foam (have never used cream or oil), water is a key element in a good shave.