Announcing New Store, Specializing in Shave Ready Gold Dollars

Discussion in 'Vendor's Corner' started by Slash McCoy, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    rs_776, FSword, steve207 and 7 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Wow, vintage shave ready for $25 including shipping? I hope you still can make a profit. Gold Dollars are also at an excellent price. I have been wanting another truly shave ready razor (I only get older razors) and have found my source. Perhaps my wife won't notice the package?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trigger and Slash McCoy like this.
  3. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Right. One midnight rooftop drone delivery coming up. You can tell her it was nothing, just the neighbor kid's frisbee.

Trigger, MR41 and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Larry at Whipped Dog used to sell similar grab bag vintage razors and it got to be too much trouble and he quit. A lot of noobs over at B&B got their start with Whipped Dog Sight Unseens. I was kinda hoping to reestablish the tradition. Some of his were actually very nice razors. No idea where he got so many at a price that let him sell them so cheap. It is pretty easy to find one or two nice vintage blades for $15 or so, but a steady supply seems almost impossible. I am just working with about 30 years accumulation and when they are gone they are gone.

I was actually thinking about bumping the prices on the GDs up a few bucks and just throwing in a vintage beater with each order as lagniappe. That would get rid of them and also put them in good hands. Problem with selling items without pics and stuff is there will always be some guy who expected a mint Filarmonica and got a honed down to 4/8 Bengall instead and wants to return it. I think the reason Larry got tired of it is he was getting so many special requests. You really can't list each razor individually at those prices and if you pick and choose the cream, all you got left is the dregs. Plus you end up working for about a buck an hour LOL. I just thought it would be fun and interesting. If it doesn't work I will just remove the item from the site. No biggie. Your feedback out there is welcome, gentlemen. Other than fleabay this is my first foray into online sales, something I swore I would never do after getting burnt by a couple of buyers.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I got my start with a Whipped Dog sight unseen razor. Ugly but was shave ready. I wish the best of luck, glad to see an option for people to give straights a try.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Slash, you’re about to bring new faces into the straight razor scene and that’s great. I wish you luck on the new venture and I might even be interested in one if I were not in the 2020 no buy sabbatical.

Trigger, MR41 and Slash McCoy like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. Welcome to The Den.

Trigger, MR41 and Slash McCoy like this.
  8. lightcs1776

Did you say mint Filarmonica??? I am in! Just kidding. If I didn't have a weeks worth of razors, I would be all over this. I still might be, as I could get lucky.

9. lightcs1776

Now I have this overwhelming need to go shave with a straight razor. I will be back.

10. lightcs1776

So, I was not kidding....

[​IMG]

11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Goo-bloomin' Stankster

Best of luck. Great value options for the curious.

12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Very interesting. I've stayed out of the SR realm so far. I may dip just my toe in...

Trigger, Slash McCoy and lightcs1776 like this.
  13. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    What would it take to get you to jump in with both feet? I am thinking about a temporary deal for the entire month of April, $5 off on GD66 only. For many of us, because of the virus and lockdown, there isn't much to do right now but shave and hone and just generally mess about with razors. FWIW, mine get soaked in Barbicide before shipping, and I always sanitize my hands before packing.

I will be making another batch of beginner/learner strops "soon". Meanwhile an ebay seller named thexbay probably sells the cheapest practical strop around, a 2-1/2" wide one for I think it is still $8.88. There are plenty other options, too. I am just mentioning strops because if you want to shave with a straight razor, you will most definitely need a strop.

14. dmshaver

That's something I'll have to consider @Slash McCoy. At my age, I've never considered getting into SR. But it does sound cool to at least try. About how many shaves would the GD66 hold a sharp edge for a complete beginner?

15. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    A complete beginner? Depends. For anyone, actually, depends. On average I think a first timer is looking at a dozen pretty good shaves and slow downhill from there, due to unfamiliarity with stropping, handling the razor, etc but I would not be surprised to see 50 shaves before the razor needs a refresh. Depends on your shave technique, your stropping, your hair texture, all sorts of factors. But I give one free re-honing any time during the first year you own it, you pay shipping both ways. By the time you are a dozen shaves in, you may as well start thinking about doing your own honing, though. Plenty of guys here, me included, who will walk you through your first edge refresh. I have a sticky on the honing forum at B&B that will get you going, and also some stuff on my growleymonster.com site. And plenty of old hands here and on other forums will help you out if you decide lapping film and balsa are not your thing. We could use some newbie honing activity and discussion here, actually. I like seeing new guys get their first great edges, gain experience, and pass their knowledge on to the next generation of shaver/honers.

16. dmshaver

Thank you for the info @Slash McCoy, I appreciate it. I'll consider it. I've been de & se shaving many years, & have a nice little den. I've steered clear of SR up till now. I'll seriously think about it. If I decide to go that route, I'll reach out to you. Thank you for your patience. It's kind of fun for me to say I'm a newb again!

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Slash, I just checked your website. Not a bad deal at all for a beginner to get a straight ready to go.

I’m tempted to go for your GD 66, but I’m on a sabbatical this year. I have a GD 1996 and like it. It took a LOT longer than I wanted to get the bevel set, but once tuned in, it’s as good as any other straight in my den. All I do now is touch it up on my Norton 12k every half dozen shaves or so and it’s good to go.

I can’t wait to see your strops. A properly prepared GD and a decent strop gets a newbie in the SR game.

Stones? Well, that’s the rabbit hole for us SR shavers.

Edison Carter and Slash McCoy like this.
  18. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    I have a double shoulder piece that I cut up yesterday into oversize strips and is now soaking. Meanwhile I have a couple of 3" wide strips that I can use as is, and I will make a couple today and list them tonight. I hope to get about 14 full size strops out of the double shoulder. I might make some fire hose strops, too. I have used stuff, and also a brand new hose that I bought just for making strops. I personally do not care for fabric strops but I have been asked so I will have a go at it. I usually make 3" strops but I think the next double shoulder or side I get I will make 2-3/4" wide strops out of it. That's actually my preferred width but the 3" is popular.

19. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Made some strops yesterday. They are on the site now. Not exactly newbie strops, but let's just say they are economy models. More nicer ones in a few days. Maybe some firehose strops next week.

20. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome work you're doing! I got a straight from my mom recently (she bought a sight unseen razor from Whipped Dog years ago). It isn't sharp anymore. I've bookmarked your sight, and will revisit it in the summer when I have time to learn how to hone it. I'm only 30 shaves into my 100 shavette shaves run anyhow, but by the time I finish I'll be looking for a strop, and I like what I see on your site. Thank you for the effort you have made to teach greenhorns like myself the ropes. :)