Announcing New Store, Specializing in Shave Ready Gold Dollars

Discussion in 'Vendor's Corner' started by Slash McCoy, Mar 10, 2020.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Nice looking strops. I need to replace my poor man's strop, so I think I will be replacing it tomorrow.

Edit: Strop is in the cart. I am looking forward to placing the order tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Nice! You are the first strop customer on the site! It's no Tony Miller or Kanayama but it is definitely going to serve you more effectively than your Poor Man. I will pack one up first thing in the morning in anticipation of your order.

Trigger and Keithmax like this.
  3. lightcs1776

Cool! I am thankful for the poor man's strop, as it got me started. Having a wider one with better hardware is certainly going to be nice. I will try to do a review of it when it arrives, although my knowledge of such things is almost nonexistent.

Trigger and Jim99 like this.
  4. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Great! I would be happy just knowing that you like it and find it worth the price.

I slept late. I just now got up and saw your order in. As soon as I finish my cappuccino and get my pants on I will get it packed and shipped.

Trigger, Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    I decided to bump the price up. Shipping was a bit higher than I expected. Still, a decent strop with proper hardware for $40 isn't bad, right? I don't know of any other proper strops going any cheaper than that. Making more tomorrow after I do a new honing video.

PLANofMAN, Trigger and lightcs1776 like this.
  6. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was a vendor section till now. I'm glad I found this. I have been wanting one of the gd wxx razors because how they look. After reading I'm not gonna get one from anyone but you. I was thinking it would be good to learn how to hone. And I want to get a couple of the sight unseen razors for give aways.

7. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    I will make sure in the morning that I have some honed and ready to ship in case you pull the trigger.

Trigger likes this.
  8. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    I took the W59's down from the site this morning. I am just not satisfied with them. The factory "edge" is too far up into the razor. The bevel surface is way too wide when a new bevel is properly set. I just don't like them and I don't want to saddle a paying customer with one. I recommend the 1996 (P81, actually) if you want an upmarket GD. The 66 if you just want a cheap second razor or backup. I am afraid if you bought a W59 from me, sooner or later you would have buyer remorse. The factory slugs at Ningbo just butchered it too badly trying to make it look "kewl". I will go ahead and hone up a couple but I am afraid they will end up as giveaways and I wasted my money on them.

Trigger and jaro like this.
  9. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Still think it could be fun having one to use and or mess around with. I will get a couple of those once I have the money for give aways when I run across someone who really wants one just cant afford it. Also looking for some cheap decent strops to go along with the razors.

Trigger likes this.
  10. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I am very disenchanted with that particular model. I suggest looking for a more normal style "W" model that hasn't been modified into an RSO or near RSO. Or else one of the classic models or a P-81 (1996) model.

Trigger and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. lightcs1776

This is why I prefer to go with trusted sources. An honest opinion is worth so much.

Trigger likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great website, Slash. I really appreciated the SR info.

Trigger and Slash McCoy like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Slash, I have a 1996 and, though it took me a while to set the initial bevel, it’s been a great razor. After you’ve set the bevel, what’s the difference between the 1996 and the 66?

Trigger and Slash McCoy like this.
  14. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Honestly, not much. Scales are a bit nicer. A little better grinding. Looks more like a decent razor, while a stock 66 TBH looks pretty crappy. Shave? About the same, properly honed. In theory the marginally more acute bevel angle of the 1996 should perform better but you would be hard pressed to detect any difference in the shave. The 1996 is still cheap enough that you may as well go for it instead of the 66, IMHO

Trigger, Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  15. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Oh, I might add that while quality across the board has improved with this brand over the last couple of years, there are still some lemons out there. Most can be fixed. And the 1996 included. I just honed one yesterday that looked great, and I thought I had a perfect bevel cause I was just all lalala losing myself in the honing and the beer, feeling for the burr and honing it off, not examining it closely under magnification and bright light. Well, I got as far as 3u film and happened to notice a dull spot on the show side of the razor, in the bevel. Dull as in not reflecting. Drat! Sharpie test and 3k sandpaper revealed a small divot in the blade from the edge upward about 1/8" very shallow but still an issue at the edge. I went back to the bevel setter and gave it hell, then examined it again after the 9u film and there was another one, very small, near the heel. Darn. Hit the bevel setter again after defining the gouge with the sharpie and sandpaper, got it right, did the progression and success. The whole process turned a 10 minute honing into a 45 minute or more job. I call it a defect though now that it is fixed I have no problem with selling it. Or keeping it, for that matter. The thing is, if a newbie bought this from a Chinese seller on fleabay he would have a razor that after honing would seem sharp but not shave consistently because two areas of the edge would have a bevel developed only on one side, and of course a divot and short burr on the other side. This is just an example. Still less hassle than some entry level Dovos, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Especially raw and unhoned, you will still get some problem razors even if you are paying the princely sum of $8 for a 1996 instead of $4 for a 66 LOL! Fewer issues? Yeah. But zero issues? Not on your life. If you can't count on getting an $80 razor with zero issues, don't expect to always get an $8 razor with zero issues. But getting one already properly honed sidesteps all that. Defects are, or should be anyway, fixed, or else the razor is tossed.

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I started straight shaving at 63. I suggest you give it a whirl @dmshaver.

lightcs1776 and Slash McCoy like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Slash, I wish you the best! I know you from B and B as well. You are definitely a honemeister. You and Mike Baker, who is another another You Tuber, turned me onto lapping films.

Slash McCoy likes this.
  18. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Just arrived, new factory shipment of Gold Dollar P81 razors. I no longer have to worry about running out, so I am dropping the price to $30. Negotiating for a shipment of Gold Dollar 208 razors, also, but don't expect them any time soon. I received a sample GD800 and after XRF testing to once and for all clear up the controversy about whether or not they are stainless, I might place a factory order for them, as well. Or maybe not. They seem awfully proud of that razor and TBH it isn't all that special, unless the steel is different. I will have to charge a lot more than I do for other GD razors, and I am not sure how well that would go over. XRF testing may be delayed due to lockdown and guys working from home or not at all. I am very curious about the steel in those supposedly SS razors. Pics tomorrow. I got a chicken to debone and ice cream to make. And GD P81's to hone.

More strops coming next week! Leather is nearly ready for final cutting and assembly.

I may make up some DIY strop kits. Hardware and a 3" wide strip of leather, you treat the leather how you want, cut the bolster pieces and notch them for the D rings, drill or punch holes, and assemble. Or maybe the leather a bit oversize, builder trims to final width after treatment.

19. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Some news. Things are getting a bit tight on the 66 supply, but one small shipment has pre-cleared US Customs so I think I will have those within the week. Another small shipment is in the pipeline but no indication it has actually moved yet. Razors are sitting on warehouse floors gathering dust while they cram masks and stuff into containers and onto planes. But the small order (20 pcs) will delay my running out by a week or so, anyway. Then I have 40 more coming, and by then things should be back to normal on shipping. Negotiating now for 100pcs GD208 and 100pcs Gold Monkey 666. I have a GM777 in hand right now, and I just calculated the bevel angle at 17.6deg, a full degree tighter than the GD66. I think the 666 is even tighter and so I am really looking forward to trying that one. The price isnt' that much more than a 66 and I may just stop selling the 66 razors in favor of the unfortunately named 666. If they are as I think, the same steel, then they should sell well once they are better known. Right now the GD66 are selling well, and the much better P81 is barely selling even though it is just $5 more and clearly is the better razor. Go figure.

The sight unseen vintage razors were not selling, which surprised me. So I dropped that item from the store.

I will have more strops up soon. I think I only have two left ready to ship out, of the Working Man grade. I am strongly considering listing a strop kit consisting of a piece of veg tanned cowhide, two heavy duty D rings, and 6 Chicago screws, so a budget minded newbie can treat the leather however he wants, and construct his own strop just like the ones I use and sell. The kit will sell at $30 or maybe a bit less. And last but not least, I have a bunch of 3/4" thick (actually I think about .72" thick) acrylic pieces of suitable size for film honing or making balsa strops, and I will be listing them soon, as well. Did I mention brushes? How about $18 for what is "supposed to be" a badger brush from China? Well, I know that the "From China" part is accurate, anyway. I have used one of these brushes. Meh. It's okay, but maybe I'm just saying that because I love my 30mm silvertip lather monsters I got for a good price from Whipped Dog. And I think I have a box of cheap shavettes I need to sell, too. So check me out in a week or two, folks.

Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Slash McCoy

Supporting Vendor
    Update:
    I took down the listing for vintage razors. Nobody seemed interested. I will list them one at a time on fleabay when I get around to it. Been saying that for about 15 years now so don't hold your breath.

I listed a DIY strop kit, only one available at the moment, and the Gold Monkey 777 razor, only 4 available. Still waiting, after over 60 days, for my last two orders of GD66 to ship from they guy who USED to be my favorite reseller. I placed a factory order for GD208 and Gold Monkey 666, and I expect them around the end of the month.

The strop kit is listed for a low introductory price. I hope whoever snags it will document the build and let us see what you make of it, and let me know what you think I could do different on it.

lightcs1776, Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.