Another Alum Block question...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Adonis, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I regularly use witch hazel astringent which does a good job of stopping any minor weepers (and skin conditioning), and a styptic stick for any big ones. Is there any REAL benefit to adding an alum block to the mix?

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

For a couple of bucks, you can find out for yourself. When I first tried it I liked it. So, I stuck with it.

For me, YES, there is a benefit.

Adonis and Boojum1 like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I use alum daily. I think for me its biggest contribution is the feedback I get if I wasn't careful technique-wise. The tartness of alum will sting a bit if you were a little too aggressive. It will however stop weepers handily.

I like alum.

Adonis likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

+1 :happy088:

Me three. I use alum and witch hazel daily. There are benefits to both. Alum tightens the skin closing the pores which prevents seepage of blood. The effect is a pleasant feeling. It prevents most nicks and weepers that witch hazel might miss. I wash off the Alum with soap before applying Witch Hazel.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Adonis likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I picked up a block of Gentlemen Jon's alum block.
    Used it maybe 10 times but to be completely honest with you it didn't do anything for me.
    Now, this may change now that I will shave with a straight razor...we'll see :)

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find that I need to thoroughly rinse off my face after using an alum block. I find the effect of the alum too drying to leave on my skin for an extended period.
    I will use an alum block for a quick facial rubdown immediately following the final razor pass & rinse. As Omaney mentions above, the alum gives very good feedback on your shaving (or the razor's ) performance.
    I tend to limit the use of one with NEW razors, not as part of a regular morning regimen.

7. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Ok, so the general consensus is I should try it out it seems. Sold. I'll pick up one this week :)

Boojum1 and markjnewcomb like this.