Another Favorite Brush Thread

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 14, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I know there are lots of these threads, but people's dens change with time. Brushes are added and sold, handles are restored, and people's preferences change. Of all the aspects of wet shaving, brushes are my favorite. I love everything about them, from ratty looking old Semogues to LE Chubby 3's in 2 band. I am fascinated by SOTD pictures, and seeing what people have in their dens.

So can we share our favorites again? I would love to see what you consider favorites, and hear why. If you have one you use every day, or a rotation of a hundred, let's see them. In order to make it a little bit of a challenge for those with big collections, let's hold it to five. I don't even have that big of a herd, but I had trouble choosing five because there is something specific that I really like about each brush I own. I didn't list these in any particular order, but here are the top five I chose for tonight:

[​IMG]
    This brush was made for me by FlashyFinWrks on Etsy. It is a favorite simply for its funkiness.

[​IMG]
    My favorite badgers tend to be 2 bands, but my Thater 3 band silvertip is the softest brush I own.

[​IMG]
    The Tuxedo knot is an awesome new option for synthetic users, and the 400 handle that @Jayaruh made for me really compliments it.

[​IMG]
    When I chose these colors for Doug Korn to use in building this brush for me, I never expected it to turn out so stunning. With the Envy White knot topping it, this brush is guaranteed a top spot.

[​IMG]
    This brush makes the list because I think it is probably the best knot I own. The way it is built it is a perfect combination of soft and scrub, but more importantly it has excellent density and flow through at the same time.

Who's next?

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I like the way you picked your favorites. I too enjoy brushes the entire range including boars, badgers and synthetics from my Zenith Boar to my Doug Korn custom badger. Below are the ones that are special to me.

[​IMG]

400 #3 with a WSP HMW knot. I bought the brush restored at a very good price. I think the 400s are very cool looking brushes and this knot is absolutely huge.

[​IMG]

This brush was a gift from my wife and daughters. The handle is by Rudy Vey with a TGN Finest knot. When I use the brush I think of the 3 ladies in my life.

[​IMG]

Elite Razor Ironwood Beehive with Envy White knot. I along with @Boojum1 and @Douglas Carey worked with Bob Quinn to make a brush honoring our friendship that started here on TSD. One of the best knots I own with tons of backbone.

[​IMG]

I feel the CH2 Synthetic is a great synthetic brush for those that enjoy badgers. It is super dense and gives that wall of badger or synthetic feel. Tons of backbone and the brush I reach for to lather troublesome soaps. I have added one LE version of the brush and will add more in the future.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. PickledNorthern

Great choices @clint64 . It is cool how a couple of them have personal or friendship attachments. Thanks for sharing.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jared thanks for staring the thread. Honestly, brushes are my big acquisition disorder. Certainly more so than razors or soaps.

5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Left to right: Wolf whiskers rce #15 handle with black tuxedo synthetic knot, Wolf Whiskers older style with plisson synthetic, (black tuxedo knot about to be put in the 2nd ww brush), Stirling soap synthetic "kong" brush, L & L grooming synthetic brush, Truefitt and Hill super Badger.

l have a few more, but these are easily the ones I use most. Screenshot_20161114-153350.png

6. PickledNorthern

That is some very unique rod stock used in that Wolf Whiskers on the left. Cool brush!

Straight razor dandy likes this.