Another one of these questions...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ob1page, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I just spent a week on vacation and instead of bringing a straight I brought my Supply Provision SE with the three dot head and a Chinese Schick blade. It's been a while since I used something besides a straight but I just got a better shave from it than any straight razor. While I like the idea of using a straight I can't argue with the results. While not fully ready to give up my straights I want to venture even further into SE razors. I have plenty of vintage; 1912, 1920, 1924, several injectors, a couple GEM MMOC.

What I'm really looking for is one of the modern SE razors; Above the Tie, Timeless, etc. What recommendations do you all have for a modern SE. I prefer more aggressive razors. Also, does anyone have any advice for trying another type of blade in the Supply? I'm thinking along the lines of the blades used in shavettes or even a cut down DE. As usual your advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

What about the new SE that blackbird just came out with?it takes gem blades.

ob1page and Straight razor dandy like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It's called the sabre. It is def a cool razor.

ob1page and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. ob1page

That's a nice looking razor, it's definitely on the list

5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ben, someone just put one up for sale earlier today in WSE on Facebook

ob1page likes this.
  6. ob1page

That Rocnel looks pretty good too, thanks for the heads up.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You could cut down on of the Feather or Kai artist club blades and use those in the Supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  8. ob1page

I think I'm going to try this. Thank you

clint64 likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think @PickledNorthern uses the cut down feathers in his Supply Co. Maybe he will chime in.

ob1page likes this.
  10. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

I have nothing against the modern SEs = other than the price associated with the purchase...
    That being said. The cut down blades can be used in almost any injector and will provide a nice close shave.
    Personally find it hard to beat the 1924(Shovelhead) overall as an SE.
    I have found that some of the wider designed heads (initially the Mongoose & similar) although potentially closer to a straight - don't render the same efficiency as the GEM style or injectors.

ob1page likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've used a cut DE blade in the Supply with great results with the one dot plate. It makes for an aggressive shave (and I like aggressive).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

It may be a little pricey but my Asylum RX is in love with my face. I have to force myself to give time to other razors in my collection.

Don

ob1page likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It may have reached the status of unobtanium but my favorite is the Cobra Classic. I also like the Asylium RX.

clint64 likes this.
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I don't own the Blackland Sabre, but do own the Blackland Blackbird.

The quality of the Blackbird is superior. I would imagine if I were holding the Sabre in my hand, I would be similarly impressed. I've dedicated a fair amount time combing forums reading up on the Sabre as it's on my short list. It's by all accounts a fine, fine shaver.

When you buy a Blackland, you can expect customer service perfection. The interactions I've had with Shane, the proprietor, lead me to believe he is delivering the finest hands-on customer service in the business. When you send Shane an email, you may as well just stay by your computer because you're going to have a reply in a few seconds. He is without question the most accommodating proprietor of any business I've ever conducted a transaction with. And this sentiment is echoed loudly by all who do business with him. In an industry where some manufacturers and vendors could truly not give a care about you once the sale is made, Blackland is going well beyond the extra mile.

My opinion, you should definitely be considering the Sabre.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    clint64 likes this.