Anti Cartridge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The way shaving used to be.... You mean with a bronze or iron blade that looked like a draw plane, after you'd rubbed animal grease on your face? Just like the Macedonians?

As for anti-cart.... In some ways, I am anti-cartridge. However, it's not because of the shavers. It's because of the enormous non-recyclable waste, deliberately created by the manufacturers (Blame Gillette and Bic) in the name of profits over performance. If people want to use them, I don't have a problem with that.

brit, battle.munky and COMPNOR like this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I really enjoy reading the cart posts and info, and respect the popular hobby and experience. I personally have narrowed my interest in wet shaving to vintage de/se razors, but have lot of things in common with cart shavers...accessories, products, interest in collecting, etc. I'm not anticart, I just don't use them. I hope the cart group feels the same about me lol.

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Im not anti cart, they have a place for me, like when I am air traveling, to see my folks. The town they live in is small, like my high school class graduated 12 people, I know EVERYONE there, so the availability to run into town for blades, or having it shipped is more of a a hassle than its worth. Considering I only go back to visit for two weeks, I just keep a package of carts there.
    But not the mach 3, or the quattro,
    Sensor Excel for me, all the way... plus its what dad uses(until I convert him) so its whats available.

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You only have to mail blades once in a great while you know. A 10 blade bank of CS blades from CVS will last awhile. Pick up an old 1912 to leave there.....just saying.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m not a snob; I just hate cartridges. I hated them for years before I knew De/SEs were an option.. I hate the prices; the shave, canned stuff you have to use ( cause decent stuff will clog the cartridge). And after becoming proficient with a DE/SE I can get a good shave in 5 minutes if I have to.

6. Bookworm

From personal experience, if you use canned goo, you can do a decent shave in two minutes - as long as you aren't doing more than 2 days of growth.

MR41 likes this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I still hate ‘em. The extra 3 minutes is worth it not to have to use a cartridge.

Marine68 and LevelupShaves like this.
  8. Bookworm

I wasn't counting a cartridge. That's my experience with a SuperSpeed and canned goo. Wet the face, spread some goo, scrape it off, wipe the face with a damp cloth, and out the door. Two minutes.

MR41 likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Oh, I got you. Have you tried smearing “kiss my face” like canned stuff. I’ve been meaning to try it; I bet it’ll work.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Nope, but I used shaving gel from the tube. It's probably close to the same thing. Gel worked better than shaving cream, Arko better than both.

178-bplatoon and MR41 like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Arko reallly, I gotta remember that.

12. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I’m not a huge fan of carts especially when there are more than 3 blades involved. I did an experiment with several 5 blade cartridge razors and all of them caused irritation. I travel for work once a month so I might use my birth year atra for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine68, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  13. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I use a cart when I travel by air. Carts actually arent bad when you use a good quality soap and a brush.

178-bplatoon and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ummmmm excuse me Sir. Do I understand correctly that you have not tried the Turkish goodness of ARKO?

15. Bookworm

Maybe he's Greek?

16. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Each to their own.
    I used to get bad rashes, thats why I changed to DE, then moved on to SE/Injectors. I do not ever recall getting the quality of Shave from a Cart , that I do from an Injector fitted with a Twin Blade. I do not get nicks/cuts/ soreness etc. I do have a Feather Cart, as a Travel Fall back but so far have not used it on a journey.

LevelupShaves and Keithmax like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think the term “anti” is a bit harsh for an inanimate object I am not forced to use. Let’s just say that I strongly prefer single edge and straight razors.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m not anti-cart, what others use is not a concern of mine. I’m sure many people get fine shaves from them. For me it was ingrown hairs and irritation so I will not use a cart again. Like @Primotenore i shave the back of my neck with a disposable 2 blade razor.

I only see tiny bit of snobbery in the posts, but probably just smart Alex comments. Many still use carts but for some of us they were painful experiences. The attitude here is do what’s best for you and a focus on technique more than the tools. I’m sure if I used a cart again I would get a better shave than I didn’t in the past with carts but I would still expect some ingrown hairs. Use what you want to use, life is to short to worry about what others shave with.... unless of course it is that straight razor I have been pining for.

19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

No, I meant the Arko tube cream used essentially brushless:). I have used Arko soap for years now. When I started using DE/SEs I used it exclusively for about a year. Thanks for look’n out for me though that would have been a travesty to correct for sure!:)

20. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I used carts for years, as many of us have. I really don't remember getting many or constant irritating shaves from them, so we know cart shavers focus on technique, tools, products, etc or they wouldn't continue to shave with them The goal is the same...safe, irritation free hair reduction.. I guess we all learn to use the tools we prefer.