Antique market finds

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Red Rider, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Saw these but did not pick up today since I know little about straight razors.
    One is a Solingen "Red Dot" $65 and the other two pics were Dovo best $149 with gold inlay in scales. Both had good looking blades. Place is about 1 hour away.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Karl G, preidy, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Beautiful looking

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice looking, but I know nothing about their value. They are too steep for me.
    EBay sold several Red Dots $19-$34. The Dovo is all over the place with price. It's fancy, and I haven't seen one like it, so the price they want is on the high end of eBay sold listings.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Red Rider like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

To Me Anyway..Something like that Old Dovo there is Quite a Personal thing in Terms of What I May Pay for it..I Don't Always Primarily think of Retail Value when I am Purchasing something that I View as a Piece of Art that I can Enjoy a Lifetimes Pleasure from..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Karl G, DaltonGang, Jorvaljr and 3 others like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to double-check everything on my smartphone. It's funny...I had this very same conversation with my wife when we last went to an antique store. The internet and ebay has really changed the dynamics of retail/resale/wholesale. Anyone at anytime can check the market value. Antique stores are no longer the experts. Is this desk worth $200? Let's check it on ebay. Ebay says $150...then why pay $200??

It has changed a lot of collecting, but I collect coins as well, and it has drastically changed the market there. Coins that were once considered extremely rare are now found for $10. It has been shocking.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Jorvaljr like this.