Antique store find

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Reformation Student, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I found this razor at an antique store and purchased it for $5. It's a Gillette but I the bottom plate doesn't have a code on it so I don't know much about it other than it's a 3 piece razor.

I'm also not sure if the bottom plate is original since it is much shinier than the rest of the razor and the metal doesn't look the same either.

I need to clean it good (it has some darkish red stains on the edge of it - hope it's not what I think it is).

Any thoughts on how to clean this?

Attached Files:

2. tsv

tsv New Member

The safety bar is from a Tech, the handle and head look to be from a New. The razor would have been an open comb originally.

3. Reformation Student

Interesting, thanks for the information.

4. magic

magic New Member

Unbelievable great find

5. Reformation Student

Thanks but I'm not so sure if it's a combination of 2 different razors. If I can figure a good way to clean and sanitize the thing, I want to give it a shot. I just need to get it really clean and super sanitized first.

6. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I would start with toothpaste, it's pretty gentle and may save any of the gold plating that is left. If you're interested I can send you a "New" style comb, (no bent teeth) and you can put her back the way she was meant to be. They really are great shavers. PM me your address if you'd like the comb and I'll get one in the mail. I've got 4 or 5 News and some extra parts.

7. Reformation Student

Chris,

Thank you for this offer! I'll PM you my address.

8. Reformation Student

Thank you to Sailinblues

I want to say thanks to Chris for offering the replacement comb for this razor. I received it today and it looks great.

Thank you!

9. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

Chris, just wanted to let you know that your offer of the new comb was very nice.

Thanks for being a stand-up guy!:D

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

A very nice gesture indeed, hats off to you Chris :eatdrink004

Steve, please share some photo's after you've cleaned her up :cool:

11. Reformation Student

You got it :D

12. Austin

Austin Member

You may want to soak it some solution made for tarnished silver.

13. Reformation Student

So, I got some MAAS and polished up this razor (I'll post pics later). Now that it's clean, I've noticed something.

The handle is brass. The top looks copper plated and the comb looks like it was copper plated (I can see some copper colored flecks on the sides and underneath of the comb) but most of that must have come off now and it is closer in color to the brass than the copper.

Is this typical of these older razors?

By the way, MAAS worked wonders. I'll have pictures posted when my wife gets home with the camera.

14. Reformation Student

Pictures

Here are some after shots

Attached Files:

15. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I don't think the top is copper plated. It's an alloy that was originally gold plated. The plating was pretty thin though. Doesn't affect the shave at all, take her for a test run.

16. Reformation Student

Oh yeah! I can't wait to take her for a shave. I have some nice new blades just waiting to be shaved with.

In some respects, I like the contrast in colors. And I work with a plater so I could always have him take it for a dip in his tanks but I don't think so. :D

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Big difference, it looks great Steve! So, how does it shave?

Neale

18. Reformation Student

Thanks, Neale.

I haven't had a chance yet to try it. I still have a little cleaning left to do and then I'll shave. I figure I'll test drive it this weekend.

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice, sounds good. Are the open comb razors more aggressive? I have not tried an open comb yet...:o

20. Reformation Student

Me either so I don't have any experience to answer you. I use a straight on a daily basis and use a DE when I travel so I only get to use it a few times a year.

However, I've been told that this particular razor (Gillette NEW) should provide a very smooth shave even with the open comb. I've also read that an open comb is useful for thicker beards. Given all this, I would assume they are generally more aggressive than a closed tooth comb.