Antique Store Findings......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette76, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Gillette76

Gillette76 New Member

I always hear about people finding Gillette Slims or Fatboys for $5-$10.... I honestly never came upon one or anything worthwhile in a antique store or flee market. Just wanted you guys to post your pictures of good findings from your treasure hunting....

Jayaruh, Paul76, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’ve found too many to believe. Just keep looking, they are there. One haul was 85 pieces. I’ll try and dig up some pics.

Paul76, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Don’t give up, they are out there. Two weeks ago I rescued a Toggle at the flea market for a price equal to coffee and a donut. The picture is FM scores , three layers deep, with almost all less then $10. Keep looking and you will be rewarded

21FDEFDC-C763-43E2-A251-15A38DAF2066.jpeg

Jayaruh, Paul76, Herm2502 and 10 others like this.
  4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I picked up two dispensers of personna 74 blades for 2 bucks over the weekend at an antique store, in the past i have picked up a gillette new lc for 5 and two prewar techs, one for 5 and the first i got for 12. All of the stores in my area report that there is a guy who comes in every 3 days and buys any razors, all of the stores from lodi to merced, 2 hour driving distance say the same thing so its really hard to find stuff in this area, california also has a large tech hipster crowd who will pay 10 times what something is worth so even when you do find something its over priced because the dealers know these people will buy anything retro.

Timwcic, Jayaruh, Paul76 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

WOW, very nice find. Were I live in the Sticks of Northern Alberta where the population is small there are not a lot of Antique shops but there are a few and some will not handle razors.
    It's nice that a few of us still have Vintage razors and use them after a great cleaning, they work like the day they were bought with a few scratches. Some of the characters that must of operated them would be very interesting.

Screwtape, Timwcic, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  6. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I found a Slim for a fiver at an antique/flea market in a small town. In a display case with cracked GEM's & 50's SS's. The owner must have been lazy because they were all marked the same.

Timwcic, Jayaruh, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Persistence, my friend. I've slowed my wild find seeking. At it's height I visited every thrift & antique store in a 60 mile radius. I would try to visit each store no less that once a month. I've left my name. phone number, and wish list in each store's behind the counter note book. It's paid off a couple of times.

I got The Call from one shop and selected this pile. I think it was thirty bucks. The OS mug and AoS samples sell for about that each by themselves.
    Wise Penny 04182018.gif

Last Thanksgiving I was out of state and made the rounds of a couple shops I'd never been to nor will again soon. One of my sons got a Newbie starter set with the Black Beauty plus necessary gear. I kept the Shulton OS AS since he's into newer brands of cologne.
    Thanksgiving haul.gif
    Find out where Estate Sales are listed in your area. At one I went straight to the bathroom and grabbed up a grubby $4 razor. Couldn't wait to get home to give it the hot water & Dawn treatment. It was as pretty as my E-4 Fat Boy I've had for a couple of years. In a side by side comparison shave I lost track of which was which. It was also an E-4. Didn't matter to me as the first one came from a flea market for all of $5. The day before I bought the first one I saw something similar at a shop for ebay prices ($45) and passed it up.
    SOTD 11012018.gif

It's a combination of Fortune & Chance, with a splash of Persistence.
    Keep your eyes open for opportunities to trade with folks. Most times I've swapped gear it started with an item, ended with a box full of less used stuff passing hands both ways.

Timwcic, Jayaruh, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

A couple of my best finds in the wild were a 1937 Sheraton for $20 and a 75 Black Beauty for $15. But, I find estate sales are the bes place to look. That's where I found the $2 cased 1958 Gillette TV Edition SS, the $4 Gillette New Standard and the $5 1965 Gillette Slim.

Keep looking! They're out there!

Herm

Timwcic, Ron R, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

A NOS Slim!?

brit likes this.
  10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The only safety razor I've bought at an antique shop was my first one: A barely-used GEM G-bar for US$7. Still have it.

At the time--2008 or so--Family Dollar still sold PAL carbon steel SE blades for a buck a 5-pack. The G-bar and PAL blades were an ideal introduction to SE shaving. Not much later, our local Rite-Aid began to carry Treet carbon steel SE blades which were even nicer. Other local stores had GEM Stainless and Blue Star blades. Now, only paint scraper blades can be found locally. Ah, the good ol' days...

Timwcic, Jayaruh, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. verkoda

verkoda New Member

Found these two aftershaves last week. The Barber Shop Brush “Spice” was 100% full, and the Straight Eight “Windjammer” was about 25%.[​IMG]

Ursa, Timwcic, brit and 4 others like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Lol, thought that car was sitting in the driveway!

Herm

brit and verkoda like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You can read the whole story here: http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2017/06/1905-gillette-double-ring.html. A little over a year ago, I found my double ring in an antique shop. I could not believe the price: $25. I snatched it up. It had all its teeth, and they were all straight.
    The serial number, 225238, indicates that it was made in 1905.
    This razor is 113 years old. Wow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

mrchick, Timwcic, brit and 4 others like this.
  14. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Yes Sir. Could not give the dealer my money quick enough. I am a I-3 date code so I like to think it is a birthyear/month match. Being I am not going to open it, I will never know for sure

15. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I got these all at a local antique shop. I did have to do a minor repair the Gillette open Comb.

IMG_0028.JPG

Screwtape and brit like this.