Any Absinthe Drinkers here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PLANofMAN, Apr 8, 2013.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As a confirmed Single Malt Scotch kind of guy, it was almost unthinkable for me to try anything new. Well...the mystique and charm of the absinthe ritual finally got the best of me and I picked up my first bottle last Friday. Wild Card Absinthe.

It's very nice, a very lucid drink (ie. you can tell when you've had too much and you slur your words, but you can still play video games and think clearly). I like it.

dazed-cheers.gif

FacialCarnage likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm not sure... I get so absinthe minded these days. :D

OK... I tried it a good while ago when some brand had some launch function. I tried it more out of mystique and curiosity than anything else. I was "into" it briefly for that reason, but then realized that (to me) it tastes really no different than Ouzo or Sambuca. Both of which I have to be in the mood for. So, absinthe was a brief, passing fad for me. I know, I'm a pagan. lol.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I wonder if you had fakesinthe, real absinthe tastes nothing like Ouzo or Sambuca (aside from the anise flavor they all share).

4. richgem

As far as I know, I had the real thing. But, then again, I can't remember which one it was. But, back to your original post, I'd much rather a wee dram of Lagavulin or Jura Prophecy.

5. Moe

Moe Active Member

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It's a good sign when you can't remember which. It probably was the real!

178-bplatoon, ohpaos and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. richgem

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That particular one has earned very high marks from the members of the Wormwood Society.

9. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

We've got a bottle at home with the sugar cubes and sifting spoon. It turns a little cloudy and has a slight anised taste. I will have to look at what brand it is. I am by no means a professional, just a fun drink to have every now and then. Right now my drink of choice is 200 proof and taste like applie pie...yessah!

youngunn, 178-bplatoon and Ryan B like this.
  10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    At 200 proof, any "taste" it might have is all in your head. Besides 200 proof is 100% pure ethanol, so any flavoring would dilute it and it wouldn't be 200 proof anymore. :(

drew23 likes this.
  12. Erik Redd

I just checked the Lucid site, it looks like their absinthe is 62% alcohol, or 124 proof.

http://www.drinklucid.com/#/About/FAQ

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I had some when I was in Europe for my high school trip.
    I don't remember how I acted, but I found out I'm a really good artist when I'm on that stuff. :D

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Most absinthe is between 60-75% alcohol, then it's watered down, usually at a ratio of 1 to 2-3.5 which brings it down to 12-14% alcohol (or higher) or about that of a glass of wine. It was not made to be drunk straight. Water must be added to release the botanicals from the alcohol suspension.

Erik Redd likes this.
  15. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I don't think you can purchase the real stuff in the States (legally), or am I wrong?

Erik Redd likes this.
  16. richgem

Apparently, you can purchase the real thing these days.

Maybe you should easy off on it tho...?

[​IMG]

17. Erik Redd

Lucid says they are the first Absinthe legally available in the US in 95 years, but this could just be marketing BS.

18. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

True Absinthe was illegal in the US until very recently and it is still illegal in several countries. The only time I have had the real thing was in Bosnia. I like it, but I am a bigger fan of Ouzo.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Absinthe production never completely stopped in Switzerland, and some of the distillers would ship it to the US. I never understood what all the fuss is about over absinthe. It's not like drinking it make you hallucinate, as seems to be commonly believed. Like any other alcoholic drink, it simply gets you completely trashed if you drink too much of it.

Ridge Distillery in Montana makes some fine absinthe, as does Delaware Phoenix.

20. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I have a great book about the history of absinthe that talks about the massive PR campaign that got it banned in so many countries. The major issue was that it was the drink of choice for violent heavy drinkers. Absinthe ended up becoming the scapegoat for a lot of serious social and economic problems in Europe. The US just sort of followed suit.