Any Absinthe Drinkers here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PLANofMAN, Apr 8, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

We used alcohol testing strips on it and they guage up to 200 proof. It instantly turned green. The flavoring is not liquid so it does not dilute it. It actually is 200 proof and is probably one of the better tasting liquors I have tasted. It is smother then most but is right on the line of the rocket fuel taste. I like it over a little ice and after it has melted some. We cut another version of this back to about 140 proof this taste perfect, with or without ice.

youngunn, 178-bplatoon and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

This isn't a shave forum it's an enablers forum..:happy097: I've never tried absinthe, but I will this weekend....:)

PLANofMAN and FacialCarnage like this.
  3. chadmartin01

chadmartin01 New Member

I love absinthe.. I take the sex goddess to a lil place in ATL called Prohibition.. They make some very tasteful ones

youngunn and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    don't forget the sugar cube and ice water. :D and make sure you get a real absinthe. There's a lot of tarted up vodka that pretends to be absinthe.

5. 178-bplatoon

Well I wanted to join the Absinthe drinkers of TSD this weekend...However three things stopped me:
    1) Couldn't find a liquer store that sold it,
    2) My research on the web seamed confirm that Absinthe sold/made in American isn't genuine:confused:
    3) The prices I saw online..YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!
    I might pay that kind of money for a case, but for one bottle NO WAY!!! Alas I guess I'll just have to stick to Bourbon,Vodka, Tequila, Peppermint Schnapps, etc.....:) Maybe I'll just put it on a bucket list....:sad024:

6. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

There is genuine Absinthe available in the US, it's just not made in the US. Since the decriminalization of absinthe in the US is so recent there are far more pseudo-absinthe beverages available than true absinthe, but the real stuff can be found with some work. If you can't manage to find it then try Ouzo instead, it has a similar taste and is widely available in Greek restaurants and liquor stores in areas with large Greek populations.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    1) That's too bad.
    2) Most American absinthe is genuine. What is commonly referred to as "Czech" Absinthe is fake, flavored and colored vodka.
    3) Real absinthe is fairly expensive. $36-$80 for a typical bottle. One thing you do have to take into consideration is that it is very high proof, and you are adding water to it, so you do end up getting more for your money.

There is real absinthe made in the U.S.
    No laws have changed, and no ban has been lifted. Absinthe has been technically legal since at least the 1960s, possibly as early as the 1930s. Contrary to claims made by some companies, federal bureaucrats were not pressured into legalizing absinthe, it was merely demonstrated to them that it was already legal. Due to changes in the understanding of these regulatory issues on the part of both the agencies and the producers, genuine absinthe is once again available legally in the US. Here's why:
    The law states that all foods and beverages containing Artemisia species must be thujone-free. However, according to the law, "thujone-free" does not literally mean "zero thujone."
    In order to determine thujone content, an official method for thujone analysis was prescribed. Although the information has been published and accessible since the 1960s, prior to 2007 it was not widely known that the threshold of tolerance—the fudge factor—for this method was ten parts per million, about 10 mg/L.
    This effectively legalizes most absinthes, since authentic absinthe contains only minute traces of thujone in the first place. The highest thujone levels so far detected in pre-ban samples is 48.3 mg/L, the lowest was "none detected."
    Many pre-ban era absinthes would be legal in the US today by modern government standards. Discovering this was a major breakthrough for absinthe in the US.

Most of the laws that impact absinthe in the US are out-dated, convoluted, un-evenly enforced, and misunderstood even by those charged with enforcing them.

Please read this FAQ
    http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/frequent-questions-education-235

For more information visit the Wormwood Society Forums or La Fee Verte Forum
    http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.php
    http://www.feeverte.net/forum/

Where to buy?

This vendor has many absinthes, but also some fakesinthes too. Read reviews to make sure you are getting the real deal.
    http://www.absinthes.com/absinthe.php

This is the best online source for absinthe, and is a highly regarded seller.
    http://www.drinkupny.com/absinthe_s/86.htm

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

Thanks for the info Ryan... Now I just have to find a real Absinthe and save enough money to buy a bottle...:) Would you suggest an American or European Absinthe?

9. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

Per FDA regulations, all absinthe sold in the USA must test thujone-free. Thujone is what gives real absinthe its "buzz".

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    A high alcohol content is what gives real absinthe it's buzz. Testing thujone-free is not the same thing as actually being thujone-free.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't have enough experience to give a recommendation, sorry. I've had Wild Card Absinthe, which is made here in Oregon, and it was very good. The next bottle I plan to buy is Washington state's Pacifique Absinthe, http://www.drinkupny.com/Pacifique_Absinthe_Verte_p/s0778.htm hopefully I can find some locally.

EDIT: Just found out that Pacifique is made from an old absinthe recipe from 1855. Makes me want to try it even more.

12. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

It's your money to waste.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It is. And by those standards, my PIF's in this forum and others, have been a huge waste of money and time, but like my alcohol purchases, have been a source of joy and happiness for me. I don't have an unlimited budget, and I have to save up for these kind of indulgences.

14. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

:confused: What do PIF's have to to with fake absinthe?

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

From the site of an absinthe producer

http://www.laclandestine.com/en/faq/47-thujone-etc.html
    Thujone

[​IMG]
    Thujone is a chemical found in a number of plants, including Grande Wormwood, (Artemisia absinthium) and sage.
    Absinthes, or more likely absinths (as some products of Central and Eastern Europe are known), that claim "more thujone," "the maximum amount of thujone," "more thujone than permitted in USA, Europe," etc are likely to be preying on the ignorance of consumers. Does any champagne claim "more bubbles" than all the others?
    Recent, and repeated studies have shown that thujone is naturally present in a distilled absinthe, and was present in absinthes produced in the 19th century - but only in very small quantities. In quantities that do not produce hallucinations and never did. The only hallucinations are in the minds of those trying to hype "high thujone absinthe."
    In the interests of science, we have tried many normal absinthes and some absurdly high thujone "absinthes." No hallucinations, nothing even close.
    So if you think you are interested to try La Clandestine because you have heard that the old Swiss La Bleue style of absinthe is packed with thujone, then think again.
    Yes, La Clandestine is made with the finest Grande Wormwood that grows naturally in the fields around the distillery.
    Yes, La Clandestine contains a legal level of thujone, whether you are drinking it in USA, Europe or Asia Pacific.
    How much thujone? La Clandestine's thujone content will differ from batch to batch, since it is a 100% natural product.
    1 part per million, 5 parts, 9.9 parts? It doesn't matter .. it's irrelevant.
    If someone can only enjoy a champagne because it has more bubbles, then that's their choice.
    If someone can only enjoy an absinthe because it has more thujone, then that's their choice. Unfortunately they will be missing out on one of the most wonderfully complex drinks known to man ...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    What does my wasting money have to do with absinthe? I can waste my money however I please, whether it's buying absinthe or spending it on stuff to PIF.

And just because it's made in America, doesn't make it a "fake" absinthe. Pacifique (made in Washington) is made from an old absinthe recipe from 1855. Not "based" on a recipe from 1855, it is made in exact accordance with the 1855 recipe. That makes it pretty darn real in my book. :D