Any bourbon/scotch drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Tiredricefarmer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Evan Williams is my daily driver. It's cheap, but does very well in blind taste tests. It's too affordable to pass up.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy its flavor ..... a stronger rich fuller flavor.

:eatdrink013:

3. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

For whiskey, mostly these days I go for rye, but we do enjoy a jot of bourbon on occasion. For me it is Evan Williams black label or else Beam black. Good bang for the buck. Our house rye is Sazerac but we are not averse to picking up a bottle of Old Overholt once in a while. I don't indulge in all the big brands that are suddenly hopping on the rye bandwagon with their own rye offerings. Old Overholt was around even when rye wasn't cool. Now it is trendy but that doesn't stop me from liking it anyway. Sazerac is a nice one that as its namesake suggests, makes a good Sazerac but also makes a great Manhattan. But back to bourbon proper, my favorite used to be Ezra Brooks. I am not a sipper but I have never refused a bit of Basil Hayden or Knob Creek. I just won't pay for them. I have bought a few bottles of Makers over the years and I will occasionally have s snort of that, straight up or rocks. Mostly these days it's Evan or Beam, black label, for bourbon.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yup...drinking some right now.:eatdrink047:

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Sipping on some Angel's Envy this evening. It's a bourbon aged in port wine casks. A friend shared a bottle with me recently. This is one I'd consider for a repurchase.

6. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Picked up a bottle of Angel's a couple weeks ago and really like it. My next purchase is going to be Evan Williams, there's just too many here drinking it for me not to at least try it.

Enrico and wristwatchb like this.
  7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm not an aficionado by any stretch, but I do occasionally enjoy a sipping whiskey. Mostly, it's been a peaty scotch, with Laphroaig a favorite. But a few years ago I thought I'd give bourbon a try and picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig, 18 y/o single barrel. It was terrific.

8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

The peaty the better.

9. Tiredricefarmer

My hat's off to you guys, you were right, the Evan black label is good and worth keeping around. So when I was buying the Evan the "whiskey guy" at the liquor store was trying to get me to buy the Evan white label for a couple $ more, said it's what he drinks. Was wondering if any of you have tried it?

Enrico likes this.
  10. Pattorashu

Pattorashu Member

If it begins or ends with whiskey it usually ends up in my glass.

For go to cheap bourbon I prefer Henry McKenna. $12 a bottle here and I can take it neat. A little hot, but pretty nice. Otherwise it's Woodford, Bulleitt (sp), or Weller.

11. Tiredricefarmer

Agree on the Bulleit, I love it. Haven't tried the McKenna but I was able to pick up a half gallon of Weller Special Reserve last week and I like it pretty well.

M14Shooter and Pattorashu like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've only tried the black label ..... the taste is great and so is the price.

If it works ..... don't fix it!

:eatdrink047:

178-bplatoon and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  13. Tiredricefarmer

I hear ya! Part of the fun for me is trying the different offerings that are out there and hearing what others have to say about their favorites.

Enrico likes this.
  14. Tiredricefarmer

Picked up 2, half gallons of Buffalo Trace yesterday in Dalton GA. for $50 each. Good price, can’t even find it where I live.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I picked up a bottle of Rebel Yell .... reminded me of Four Roses; so I won't be purchasing it again. It's not bad, just very mild.

We're starting a list of whiskey / bourbons.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think the next one the try is Tin Cup.

17. Tiredricefarmer

Ive seen Tin Cup but don’t know a thing about it. Tried a glass of Four Roses and really liked it, will buy some in the future. Also tried a glass of George T Stagg (not sure if it was Jr.) and wasn’t super impressed. It was good but I kept picking up a weird industrial taste, almost like it wasn’t consistent in flavor.

Enrico likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My son volunteered to purchase the Tin Cup, so I said sure I'll try it.

:eatdrink047:

19. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Son in law offered me a Manhattan made with WHISTLEPIG. Very nice!
    I had 2 shots neat later. Excellent stuff.

Coronovirus all around me down in South Louisiana now and at 77 , wife and I decided we are opening my prized PAPPY VAN WINKLE 20 year old I bought about 10 years ago and toast to life!

Having it tomorrow after I take a spin on my Honda VFR so I can blow the dark cobwebs out of my mind.
    Might as well go out with a flourish!!

20. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

My tastes in brown booze are rather pedestrian, mainly because I used to drink a LOT of bourbon and naturally I gravitated to the lower price tiers but not down to the white or green labels. I enjoy Beam Black but our house bourbon is Evan Williams. Both of those are reasonably priced but they don't really taste cheap. We drink more rye than bourbon, though. House rye is usually Sazerac but sometimes Martin's has Old Everholt on sale and I can't pass it up. OE is a more classic rye with a crisp, snappy bite that is missing in the Sazerac. I don't have either one straight up. Not my style. Manhattans, or Sazeracs, yeah that's the right stuff. We have our bourbon usually in old fashions, hot toddies, mint juleps, or just trailer park style, with ice and coke. Like the rye, I seldom drink bourbon all by its lonesome.

As for other whiskies, scotch makes me nauseous with just the smell. Can't stand that stuff around me, top shelf or bargain bin, either one. Canadian to me is like weak iced tea spiked with everclear. No flavor, to my palate. Same with Japanese whiskey. Jim Beam is okay with diet coke but its not on my get it list. Top shelf bourbons? I was occasionally having Bookers or Makers or other similar, but TBH I never really developed a taste for them. Not enough to make them worth the money to me, so we don't keep any what you would call sipping bourbon in the bar.

Sorry I'm not more fun but I'm kind of a low key, low budget drinker these days. I get most of my "vitamin A" from 8% to 9% ABV home brewed ales by the big pint. One thing the Brits really do right is the pint. 16oz just isn't quite enough. Anyway I get a fairly strong ale for less than the cost of big brand yellow water from the grocery store. And it is kegged, for convenient and tasty consumption.