Any bourbon/scotch drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Tiredricefarmer, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Once in a blue moon, I will have a bourbon & coke. My favorites are Maker's Mark & Knob Creek- both smooth & smoky, without too much sweetness.

Tiredricefarmer and Enrico like this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad this week. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer, Enrico and brit like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Going to pick up some Jim Beam Distillers Cut today. Not easy to find here. For the Evan Williams black lovers I highly recommend!!! $16

Enrico likes this.
  4. Tiredricefarmer

Just got back from the package store. I called yesterday and was told they had it. They thought I was asking for Devils Cut, so no Distillers Cut for me. I’m heart broken :angry017:

Enrico likes this.
  5. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I'm unemployed, so I've been trying what one writer calls "table Bourbons" (under $25, tasty enough to drink on ice or in a cocktail). Tonight I'm drinking Jim Beam Double Oak. It doesn't have enough depth to drink neat, and it doesn't hold up to ice. It would make a very good first bourbon for someone just getting into drinking whiskey.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’m an old Blanton’s, Woodford Reserve, and Bulleit guy. Of course, I’m old and retired.

Tiredricefarmer and rmcintyre84 like this.
  7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Good stuff.

8. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Haven't drank any bourbon in "years", but when I did it was usually AA or AAA, depending on how much I could afford on that particular weerkend.

Does anyone still drink it?

9. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

You can’t go wrong with Makers Mark. Evan Williams is very underrated. Jim Beams’ not bad, better as a mix.
    But like a few others have noted, I really like rye. Rye was the more popular choice, back in the day.
    I’ve been enjoying Old Overholt rye. It’s not a ‘craft’ rye, just a ‘straight’ rye. Really nice.
    If you enjoy a nice cigar with your bourbon, try KFC ( Kentucky Fire Cured) cigars.
    They burn bourbon aged barrel wood while the tobacco cures, to infuse some of the flavor.
    Normally, I usually don’t go for that type of thing, but my tobacconist recommended it.
    He wasn’t wrong.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Tiredricefarmer

Was given a bottle of Blue Note small batch for my birthday. It’s a new bourbon/whiskey distilled and bottled in Memphis. Runs about $50 a bottle and is very good. Smooth and spicy, not overly sweet. Very impressed with it. Looking forward to trying their single barrel and one they call Juke Joint if I can find it.

Also tried my first Japanese whiskey, Suntory Toki. Flavor seems light and sweet, not bad, just not sure I’d purchase again. $40

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Enrico likes this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

Bump! Tried two new to me new ones today! Russell’s Reserve 10 yr and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Both reasonably priced in the $30’s, and both very good/tasty! Recommend!

12. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Nice, never tried Rare Breed yet but love the Wild Turkey Longbranch

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  13. Tiredricefarmer

I’ve seen the LongBranch, knew nothing about it. Next time I’ll have to give it a try. The Rare Breed came recommended. I’m watching some Arkansas Razorback basketball and enjoying a glass . It actually seems better than yesterday!

Dave in KY likes this.
  14. Dave in KY

I tried the Longbranch on recommendation and it became my favorite nudging out Woodford Reserve. I'll need to try the Rare Breed for sure.

15. Dave in KY

Old Forester 1910 tonight 1 glass remaining so need to get a couple more bottles of something...

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've heard good things about Evan Williams Cask Strength 12 year whiskey, considered one of the "good" $60 range bottles.

My most recent whiskey purchase was Angel's Envy. Very caramel and sweet forward, spicy afterglow. Not bad. I'll probably buy it again, but it's not a bar shelf staple like my beloved Glen Morangie "La Santa" single malt.

Tiredricefarmer and Dave in KY like this.
  17. Tiredricefarmer

Will keep an eye out for the cask strength, the EV Black is my “everyday drinker”. Not sure I’m ready to step up to scotch yet

Enrico likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Angel's Envy is a bourbon, not a scotch. Both have a very unique taste that sets them apart. Also comes as a rye varient.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Two weekends ago my son and I tried Dewars scotch ...... one of the absolute worst scotches I have EVER tried. Tasted like a mixture of plastic and petroleum ..... truly an unforgettable flavor / experience and makes my stomach hurt and cringe at the thought of it.

I do like scotch, but that was like taste testing at a petroleum refinery.

:sick007:

PLANofMAN and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'll be honest, I've never had a good blended scotch. Dimple Pinch and Glenlivet 12 year are the "best" blended I've had, and $10 more will get you a cheap single malt with twice the character.

The single worst whiskey I've tried is Pendelton. Whiskey flavored rotgut vodka, imo.

Tiredricefarmer and Enrico like this.