Any chileheads here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by herzi, Jul 26, 2007.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Last weekend my nephew and his lovely Peruvian wife drove their boat across the lake for a visit. At breakfast she asked for some hot sauce to put on her eggs. I offered her some Louisiana hot sauce and half kidding I pulled out the Insanity sauce and showed it to her. She went for the Dave's and to my utter surprise she didn't go running for the water or even flinch when eating it. It was amazing to see.

2. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Good old hotsauceblog.

I have some samples of different dried chiles I use to perk up sauces and such: De Ancho, Habanero flakes, New Mexico chiles, etc, etc.

Have some Melinda's XXXXtra Reserve and Ring of Fire Garden style sauce for when I want heat in the liquid form. The Ring of Fire is nice, has heat but flavour, Melinda's a bit more hot but still a good taste to it.

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

All kidding aside, I love hot sauce, but I do also want some flavor. Ironically, most of the hot, hot stuff is Tex-Mex. I grew up in New Mexico, and there you have much more of the indian influence, so you have some heat but a lot of flavor.

I love New Mexico chiles. If I could, I'd have a ristra of them available to use, but they would mold and go bad in the humid South pretty fast. I also love chile rellenos. Las Cruces (where I grew up) isn't too far away from Hatch, New Mexico, the chile capital of the world!

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Blair:

We should plan a gathering HERE sometime !!

5. Will

Will Nevermind

My hot sauce.

Attached Files:

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Oh, yeah!! That's what I'm talkin' about!

7. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

When I was cooking, we would give the dishwashers a free meal iffin' they would eat a habanero without anything to cool them down!

I love the hot stuff! Dave's, Scorned Woman, X, anything with a skull-n-crossbones on it. There are many out there that are hot just for the sake of being hot, but there is a lot of flavor out there too.

Gentlemen, remember that when handling hot peppers, wash your hands at least five times with soap and hot water, then lick your fingers to be sure there is no residual oils left on your hands (if your tongue registers anything but soap, wash again) before visiting the bathroom. You will regret it if you don't! DAMHIKT!

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Hello, my name is Klaus and I'm a heat-freak :D

Here's today's hot haul:
    - 50grs of dried Aji Pinguita de Mono
    - 1 bottle of "Raw Heat Vintage 69"
    - 1 bottle of "Pain is Good, #37 Habanero Garlic"
    - 1 assortment of "DAVE'S 6 PURE DRIED CHILES" (Habanero, Chipotle, Ancho, New Mexico, De Arbol, Cayenne)
    - 1 bottle of "Bullseye Guinness Draught Beer Blend BBQ Sauce"

got 'em all from here - the guy lives just a few kilometres from my place :D

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Hot going in...hot coming out...thank you but NO thank you. I can tolerate a little Pico de gallo but that is it. The only thing I like spicy and sassy are women.:D

Raf

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Did someone say spicy and sassy?? :D

11. Will

Will Nevermind

Ya but I can't put you in a Taco.

12. Queen of Blades

No, you can't, but doesn't mean I won't fit.

I am itty-bitty, you know? :p

13. Will

Will Nevermind

True, I probably have eaten bigger things than you.

14. Queen of Blades

Probably.

How tall is your wife?

15. Will

Will Nevermind

5'1"

16. Queen of Blades

She's bigger than me. ;)

17. herzi

herzi Active Member

Perhaps you could put Tacos on her? :D

18. herzi

herzi Active Member

Very nice Klaus,
    I got some Vintage 69 there too. My favorite sauce besides the home made Adkjika of my mother in law. I got some Blair's chipotle hot slam too. But I haven't tried it yet.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Dont'cha mean WAS? :rofl :p

Nah, just kiddin' 'cause he said he's eaten bigger things than ya ;)

@herzi: thanks :cool:

20. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

There are few foods I eat that do not have some type of hot sauce. All my life I was a spicy food guy. The family specialty, tuna sandwiches are not even considered complete without a large bottle of Crystal brand Louisiana style near by, and tex mex style mexican food is not even considered without at least a 1/2 bottle at teh ready. This is a great all around sauce, vinegary in a good way, and works in scrambled eggs, bloody mary's etc. I figure I go through approximately 4 OZ of this type of hot sauce per month, personal consumption. For a more complex flavor profile, you might want to try Tapatio, in the same vein, but useful for less things as a result of it's complexity. I will still reach for crystal over Tapatio in my house, though for Mexican style seafood restaurants, I must give the nod to Tapatio.

Next up, Sriracha. The red rooster of the Asian world. Think of a garlicy, slightest hint of sweet and medium spicy all around sauce. Once in your home, you will be putting this on eggs, sausages, hot dogs, using it as a bbq base or additive, using it on the tuna sandwich (yes, that may be the all time fave of mine) and in place of ketchup at nearly every occurrence. I go through a bottle of this sauce every 4-6 months. (more during summer months b/c of bbq.)

Raw chili peppers. All kinds of peppers with all different heat content and flavor profiles. The gents above who speaks of peppers of NM is on the money here. (My Mom lives in ALBQ, and I get peppers in every meal if I can)

You cannot really eat Thai food, Filipino food, or any food from SEA without a small dish of fish sauce (another thread entirely) with a a squeeze of the "local lime", and some diced chili. This is the smartly feared "Mouse Sh!t pepper" (the English translation of the Thai name) Two of these miniscule bad boys will leave you scortched, sweating and endorphin rushed. At the expert level, you need only have one in your non dominant hand, nibbling off a millimeter at a time while you eat a complete meal.