Any feedback on Em's place brushes?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by commah, May 25, 2007.

1. commah

commah New Member

I'm looking in to buying a badger brush from Em's place. I really like their service, and there other products are outstanding. The one I'm thinking about is the "mno-veri", a badger "tapers" brush. Of course, I'm fairly new to wetshaving so I'm not looking for a top of the line brush, but I do want a good brush. The brush is $63.00, and looks really nice. I use mostly soaps lately, but use creams maybe once or twice a week. Can anyone give me some feedback on what to expect from this brush? Anybody else have it? I'm not even sure what "taper" hairs are, so if anyone can clue me in, I'd appreciate it.

Here it is:

Attached Files:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Well, I don't have that Omega, but if you want a solid brush that will work superbly with soaps and just as good with creams.........and in that price range [+ approx. 10 bucks including shipping].....you will need the Kent BK4 which is a perfect knot size @ 22mm [Knot, 22mm, Loft, 60mm handle, 50mm]:

[​IMG]

Enter discount code GBK1777

I would not be without it~

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Joe:
    You are SUCH an enabler ;)

.............now I want a Kent, too:ashamed001

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Fergie taught me....where is that cat anyway? I figured I'd see him singing the praises of Kent here :confused:

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Isn't he though? I have a BK4 and can vouch for it. I wish Crabtree & Evelyn would get the Best Badger Brush back in stock. Also, I see that someone on Ebay has a Savile Row #108 up for auction.

7. emsplace

emsplace New Member

Hey all...

As a side note, when we refer to anything as fine "taper" bristles there is usually a $15 to $20 differential between that category and our "silver tip" models. The -veri model is not the same handle style as the one referenced on Amazon as a silver tip green and gold, and therefore not a parallel comparison. Our fine taper brush bristles are just under the silver tip range and therefore this -veri brush is not double in price when compared to the Amazon brush - not taking into consideration other factors. I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Thanks for the question, Em
    Vendor, Em's Place
    Serving customers on the internet for over a decade...

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thank you for stopping in for the explanation Em! Welcome :happy088

I do believe, however, that the purpose of JoAnna's comparison was to show price differential here:

and here:

9. emsplace

emsplace New Member

Hi TraderJoe, point well taken and thank you for clarifying the comparison. Since Omega makes three sizes in that model it is hard to know...

Anyway, I will agree that we are more expensive than some and less than others. While that bristle looks more like what we would categorize as a fine taper brush, I would agree that in your scenario we are more expensive. On the other hand try to call Amazon and get a "live body" to talk to about shaving brushes and related specialties or personal issues. In this day and age getting a real person to converse with has an added premium, and if people want to talk to me personally I guess that is the difference.

Thank you for the explanation, Em
    http://www.emsplace.com/products.htm

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

There's no doubt about it Em, I've been around long enough to hear the multitude of stories about you & your business....and going the "extra mile" to ensure customer satisfaction. You are what I would consider a top-rate vendor.

In addition, Your proprietary products are of excellent quality (yes I am a customer)

Again, thanks for stopping in, I hope you come back frequently :D (PS, we have a special women's shaving section, where we "borrowed"/linked to your essay)

11. emsplace

emsplace New Member

Hey TraderJoe,

You bring a smile to my face:) I thank you for the positive comments and always understand price comparison. While I just happened upon this thread tonight, I appreciate your invite to visit more often.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention and have a good evening, Em

12. xChris

xChris Member

I have one of the Omega brushes brought up in this thread (the green variegated handle).

It is a quality and luxurious brush. The knot is ~25mm, and quite soft and plush. There is no "scrubby" with my example, but it is not a total "floppy" either.

commah--
    good luck with your choice.

13. commah

commah New Member

Man, looks like I should have done my research before I made the purchase. I guess my inexperience proved to be a costly disadvantage.

I feel violated! :o

14. Guillaume

Guillaume Member

I tried that discount code at both Amazon.com and Kentbrushes.com, and neither vendor recoognized it. If it's for a different vendor, please let me know.

The undiscounted price at Amazon .com is USD 145 + 9.50 shipping and handling and GBP 40 at Kentbrushes.com + 5.50 shipping and handling, which at current exchange rates is USD 89.9307, according to XE.com, so ordering directly is clearly the better deal. Plus, I always feel just a bit like Alistair Cooke (imagine Masterpiece Theatre theme playing in the background here)when I have mail from the U.K. I become, however fleetingly, charming, witty and urbane.:rofl

You guys (and gals) are getting me into SO much trouble.:drool

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't know about the discount code, but glad we could help. :D

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Fergie and Joe know it, I am sure.

17. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

The code worked at the Kent site about 10 days ago. Brush arrived in 7 days.:D

18. Guillaume

Guillaume Member

The Code works!

After a little investigative work, I discovered that the price has to be displayed in USD for the code to work, as Kent does not want to undercut their U.K. resellers by discounting domestically.

(Thanks to the good folks at Badger and Blade--who are some of you as well, I surmise--for the information.)

If I had an actual life, I could be really dangerous.:drool