Any fountain pen enthusiasts on here?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

I'm new to the board, so I thought I'd say hi. Are there any other fountain pen enthusiasts on here? Anyone else hang out over at FPN?

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

You will find that a lot of us that are into DE/SE/Straight shaving are also into fountain pens. One hobby is kind of a gateway into the other.

I have an account over at FPN, but I don't post much or even check in often there. Too many posts, too many topics.... I prefer the simpler pace here.

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya I used to be really into the pen..still like them and I guess I always will but these days am much more into the shave. FPN is a potentially good resource for pens and such but there's much more kibbitzing around here..:)
    Ps..despite what they always seem to say, I'd avoid using copy paper as a low cost alternative for your fountain. I use 5 star when on the fountain..which is not so often these days...

4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I have a Waterman that I ended up loosing and having to (recently) clean out. I am a member over at FPN, but that's as of this past weekend. I am looking into pens though as I prefer handwritten works.

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the Den. of fountain pens and inks.
    I am started collecting vintage fountain pens first, then went to traditional wet shaving. Yes I occasionally hang out at FPN. I will always have a collection of fountain pens and inks, now a days I put my money into my Shave Den first.

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I use them out of preference but would not consider myself a collector. I have a selection of Lamay and Parker pens and I will confess at the moment I am experimenting with different Chinese makes. I am too predictable........ DEs Straights, Mechanical watches, and Fountain pens!

wristwatchb and BamaT like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

*hand up*

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. Same here. Been going to the Philly Pen Show for the last few years, now.

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's funny I saw a gorgeous faux horn EJ Chadwick at a pen shop a while back. One of the display cases was chock full of fancy shaving stuff..:drool:

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have a couple FPs. My favorite is a Parker 51 and the other is a Cross Century II. I don't write as much at my current job as I have in the past, but if that changes I'm sure to pick up more. Though, I'm definitely more a user than a collector.

I am a member at FPN, but haven't checked in for months.

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

same here, have a couple of fountain pens, but mainly use the Pilot Varsity's. I use my Pilot Knight when I'm signing important stuff, and I use a Pilot Plumix when I write notes to my wife :) (I like the almost caligraphy-like writing it does)
    Can't say I'm big into it, but I do like 'em, they make me slow down and write better :innocent

12. lanolite

lanolite Member

I've been collecting FPs for about 15 years and have more than I'd care to admit. It's a great hobby...I'm off to the Atlanta Pen Show this weekend. My first was in 1997 and i've only missed a couple since then.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love fountain pens, both new & vintage. My favorite vintage pens are Esterbrooks. I have been into fountain pens ever since my adult Bat Mitzvah, when I received a couple as gifts.

14. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I'm a really big newbie with pens, but I have two Lamys with converters that I fill the ink myself. It's been such a pleasure to write large amounts with a Fountain Pen versus a cheap roller ball or the sort.

15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great to see another Esterbrook fan.

16. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Yep. Just picked up a Montblanc Meisterstuck 146. Scouting out the 149 now

17. maskaggs

maskaggs New Member

I've got a simple blue Picasso that works for me. I'd like to try some different inks, though, as the two I have now are rather watery. A member from another forum sent me a Lamy Safari, but the thing snapped in my pocket.

18. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I used to be into Calligraphy quite seriously when I was younger, but unfortunately don't have time to do it anymore, I have a couple of pens, a Sheaffer, and a Lamy Safari, but wouldn't like to take them to work as things like that tend to go missing fairly quickly in prison.

19. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

Emmijack, my husband is a Correctional Officer. Definitely no fountain pens in the prison! Too bad, since he keeps his logs in a tiny notebook in almost unbelievably small handwriting. He is always looking for finer and finer-tipped pens....an ultra-fine fountain would be just the thing.

I am a fountain pen user due to both fondness and necessity. My hands tend to cramp badly when I write with a "regular" pen. I am currently in withdrawal from my two workhorse pens, a Noodler's Ahab and a Japenese pen called the "Dude"....they are BOTH missing, probably due to my little corgi mix's kleptomania issues. When he feels insecure, he steals things (especially my things) and hides them. He does not chew them or destroy them, just hides them. He is a perfect dog other than this one highly annoying flaw.

I would love to convert The Hubby to both wet shaving and fountain pens....but he is resistant. I must come up with a way to make it HIS idea...

I am a BIG fan of the Noodler's inks, and I have more ink than I could use in a lifetime due to my desire for more and different colors. I keep a different color in each pen. I muddle around with custom mixing, so I can have a color that is MINE and ONLY MINE. I still haven't cracked a color that I love enough to make my signature hue, so I can vaguely justify more inks and more pens to hold them...

The culprit:
    [​IMG]

BamaT likes this.
  20. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

New to F/P's really want a tornado, any feedback on them?