Any New Year's Traditions?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by dustmite, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm from the northern end of PA Dutch country, and our traditional New Year dinner is Pork and Sauerkraut. Served with mashed potatoes and some good crusty bread, it's probably my "death row" meal! Just wondering what traditions are followed in your area.

RaZorBurn123 and wristwatchb like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

We are just doing appetizers this year. Kids are growing up, one we probably won't see, another we might see later today. The other two will hang around with us. Usually we do a nice ham dinner for New Years Day.

Sent using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and dustmite like this.
  3. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

My wife and I started hosting a fondue and game night party about three years ago.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

In the South, the traditional dinner is greens (collards, turnip greens, mustard greens,etc..), black eyed peas, and usually hog jowls. It's also a tradition that the first person to enter the front door must be a male with dark hair.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Chicken in champagne sauce, over home-made egg noodles. It's a heart attack on a plate, but what the heck; we only eat it once a year.

Col C likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Black Eyed Peas Cooked With Hog Jowls, Side Of Onion, Greens, And Corn Bread.

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

We spend the day watching football and slow roasting a prime rib roast (medium rare). A carnivore's delight - and it was good! I usually sip a bit of scotch or bourbon throughout the day as well.
    Rib Roast.jpg

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like to start the New Year with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and cream of corn.

dustmite likes this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

We didn't realize that we have a tradition, but facebook reminded me yesterday that we have homemade biscuits and gravy on New Year's Day. Good stuff with some homemade chokecherry jelly as well.

dustmite likes this.