Any of you DE guys tell me what I have as far as Age and type.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Newcreature, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

2. jbr63

jbr63 Active Member

Looks like a Brownie set from the 1920's, assuming there is not a serial number on the head. Thick cap old style, an excellent shaver. There are several threads on repairing cracked handles, or use a handle from another razor. My 2¢ worth.

Herm2502, Newcreature, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Not sure what level of knowledge you have about these, but the razor is a Gillette 'Old Type'. It is a 1920s style Ball End handle, which replaced a different topcap/handle combo known as a Single Ring, which also had an Old Type head. This razor type was produced until 1929. Gillette moved on to two other razor styles known as a NEW and a New Deluxe after that. As for which exact Old Type model it is, if that is what you are looking for, jbr63's response earlier is very good.
    An excellent website for descriptions of all vintage Gillettes is mr-razor.com

4. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

An excellent Gillette Old Type. That handle is pretty much toast but the baseplate/topcap appears to be in good shape with straight teeth. As mentioned, you could use a handle from another Gillette such as a fat handle Tech or the little solid brass handle from a ball end Tech. The ball end Tech handles look good as those heads are ever so slightly smaller in width than later models like the NEWs which look a little large on the small handles. Another option is to save the loose neck fitting and ball end that you have and get a replacement center tube section from the "Backroads Gold" site. Or go aftermarket and choose from many styles/lengths of stainless steel handles. Those "Old Type" heads are particularly good shavers and you're lucky to have a nice straight one. Congrats.

Newcreature, brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

razor emporium sells a reproduction handle ..

6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

:signs011:

A very nice one.

dangermouse, Newcreature and brit like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, everything above.

Newcreature, jtspartan and brit like this.
  8. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

Thanks for your response and the information, I know nothing about the DE's . I got into the Straights but I found this and gave 2 dollars for it and except for the handle it does not look like its hardly been used.. I was going to use it for travel.

9. Newcreature

Newcreature Member

Thanks for the Info, I sent Chris at " Backroads Gold " a message I think He will be able to fix me up. Thanks Again