Any of you seasoned shavers have a "coming to Jesus" moment regarding your technique?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BlueShaver, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Ever tried putting unscented Cremo on before Barbasol? It works pretty good that way.

Terry and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I just shuffled and sorted my storage cabinet and spotted a tube of Regular & one of Cooling Cremo. Haven't used them in a long while. They do give some extra slick to lackluster soaps. Now that I've been at this for a while I've moved all those less than acceptable products to an under cabinet box.

Life's too short for shaving with less than my best gear. ;)

brit, Dirtfarmer and Terry like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I should PIF you my first shaving brush.
    41kQbQ8Z5xL._AC_.jpg

This thing is so stiff i wouldn't need a razor! It has been sent to the bathroom cabinet and now makes an excellent cleaning brush (with care) for cleaning my razors.
    Stiffness/scrub levels = 1^e12

brit and Dirtfarmer like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

One of my favorite brushes, aside from the vintage rubber set is the Vie-Long Cachurro Horse hair, great backbone, soft tips with a little scritch

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have a similar one i clean my keyboard with..;)

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I am continually amazed how much I enjoy working a lather up on my face. Everyday is a face lather holiday. I am pretty much on auto pilot when it comes to scraping the whiskers off.

TommyCarioca likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mine was when went from two separate lathers for my beard and head to one lather, letting it sit on my head while I complete.my beard shave. The difference in performance on my head shave was huge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For a number of years now I've been letting lather set on my face while I comb hair or change blade in razor. My beard draws in more hydration, softening the hair and making it easier to cut.

brit likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette recommendation was for a minimum of four minutes hydration, this gives me a good ten minutes on my coarsest hair. Game changer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  10. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Pressure is a big no no with wetshaving. The weight of the razor alone is more than enough pressure, bearing in mind you will need multiple passes, for me usually three to be precise. One revelation ive had is washing and drying blades after use. Its more than tripled the lifespan of blades for me and now on Average i get 15 uses from a blade give or take a few shaves depending on the manufacturer. The blades i get the most shaves with are feathers and gillette 7 o clock sharp edges.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

TommyCarioca and brit like this.