Any shaving shops in Austin, TX?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Eeyore, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am going to visit the USA in September, and I'll stay in Austin, Texas. Two questions really:
    - are there any shaving shops worth visiting in Austin? ( and can you get there easily by public transport?)
    - if I would order things from a USA online shop, what delivery time estimates should I reckon with?

And since I'll have a weekend there (staying two weeks) ... anything non-shaving related that I *must* see?

Thanks!

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Don't know Austin but a bunch of vendors use priority mail which is two days so ordering Monday, receiving Wednesday.

Straight razor designs, Bullgoose, and Maggards come to mind.

I have had orders sent a head to hotels so they were there when I arrived. Just call and let them know it is expected.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Austin, Texas is a really great town with Lots to see and do.

There are not a lot of shaving shops in Austin. Don't plan on using public transit. I would rent a car.

There are a ton of must see sites. What are you interested in?

I would put Texas chili parlor on the menu, as well as the salt lick BBQ. Kayaking on ladybird lake. Museums, 6th street pubs, Tex Mex. they have a lot of great brewpubs and micro breweries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARGH and Jim99 like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've done that before with hotels in the UK indeed. If priority mail across the USA is only two or three days, I can even order stuff the first week, and get it before I go home again.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

There's an Art of Shaving at Barton Square Mall. And I agree about using "public transportation". I don't go into town much because the influx of transplants have made this place a traffic nightmare. I go out in the country (as a matter of fact, as soon as I finish my coffee, I'm hitting the road). The Salt Lick on 1826 is always crowded, but there are some good roads out that way if you're a driver. Take the back way from Driftwood to Wimberley and eat at their cafe, but get there early. Sundays aren't too bad. And if you're into wine tastings, there are tons of wineries in the Hill Country.

My coffee's done...time to ride.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I live in Dallas, Tx (a mere 3 hours away), and I frequently travel to Austin. There are a few shave shops, but if you have a real interest... there are far more in my area (Dallas-Fort Worth).

I would be a +1 for renting a car. Public transport there is OK at best.

Delivery time really depends on the size and what method you ship it by. As a long time ebay seller as well, I would recommend using US flat rate boxes and send it "priority." That will get there the quickest. A lot if this depends on customs, of course, but thet should arrive before your return.

As far as things to do, Austin is known as an eclectic, outdoorsy city. Their city motto is literally "keep Austin weird."

I recommend walking up and down 6th and 7th street to randomly check out stores and oddities. The state Capitol is in Austin, and it is beautiful as well. The University of Texas is also in Austin, and well worth checking out... for more than a few reasons since it has the largest student population of any college in America...with a 2-1 girl to guy ratio...and it's considered to have some of the most beautiful women in the world (seriously...even Tucker Max moved there! If you dont know who that is, look it up and it will make sense).

Hamilton pool or barton springs pool are natural swimming grottos... and they are awesome. Lady bird lake hike and bike trail. Go tubing down the river, check out the 1 million+ bats under the congress bridge, Zilker park botanical garden is gorgeous.
    Bullock texas state museum if you want to learn more about your surroundings.
    The Austin city-wide garage sale or the antique shop uncommon objects on south congress are great for shopping.

The alamo draft house is a movie theatre/pub/eatery. Quentin Tarrantino says it's the best movie theatre in the world...thats good enough for me.

If you did the items above, you would have a killer time, but you can easily "Google" trip advisor, yelp, or just "best things to do in Austin, Texas and just go for it. There are soooo many things to do there.

We do expect pics, however.

7. Austinoire

Austinoire Active Member

Former Austinite. The public transportation is excellent, (it moves thousands of students annually). Everything in Austin is at most 15 minutes away. Extremely bicycle friendly city. But, a car would be most helpful in seeing more while you're there.

Sights: South Congress or SoCo (collection of vintage stores and trendy eateries, definitely try a food truck)

6th Street (tons on bars w live music, cheap drink specials and tons of college kids)

4 & 5th Street (warehouse district) - for adults & expensive.

The Domain (very upscale retail shopping 25 minutes from Downtown)

State Capitol (manificent historical bldg w free tours every 15 minutes during the day-call an book).

University of Texas at Austin (great place to walk and picnic)

Zilker Park

Burnet Rd (revitalize neighborhood street very trendy now w vintage shops and eateries on Burnet Rd stretching between 45th St all the way to Konieg Rd)

Amy's Icecream (local iconic Icecream shop which makes Icecream and adds amazing toppings)

Trudy's (great cheap margaritas & iconic college hang out spot)

Brass House (great jazz bar owned by two former Marines) in the heart of downtown.

Bob Bullock TX History museum (5 blks from capitol/across the street from UT)

Town lake trail (it's downtown and is a trail that stretches around the lake, designed for running walking dog walking & cycling and it's great outdoor fun and allows a lot of people watching).

San Antonio TX (1 hr & 15 minute drive south)

Bats at the Congress bridge (at dusk swarms of Bats come out to night to feed from under the Congress bridge in downtown Austin-big tourist attraction).

Rainey st. (former run down neighborhood near downtown that has seen old houses converted in trendy bars and is extremely hot and trendy with Austinites now).

Central Market, Whole Foods & Wheatfield co-op are great for organic and natural grocery shopping (but pricey). Great alternative is HEB.

Round Rock Express baseball game (30-40 minute drive to see minor league baseball team)

Disfalk field for a game (UT's baseball stadium).

Greenbelt hiking trails (several throughout city)

Mt. Bonnell (free lookout point south west of city atop massive stone steps)

Auditorium Shores (great lakefront view from a shoreline)

Graffiti project off of Lamar, behind waterloo records (massive beautiful permanent graffitti muruals on a hillside).

Mozart or Hula Hut (great coffee/desert shop, study spot and first date spot; Hula right next door is popular cheap bar-both with lakeside views).

Nasty's Monday hip hop night

Franklin's Barbecue

Banzai (great small sushi spot across from Central market grocery on N. Lamar)

EZ's (great family American food spot next to Banzai).

Hopdoddy (great burger and beer spot)

Drauft House on Burnet Rd. at about 40th St., is an old school German beer house frequented by many europeans (may have the name wrong, but looks like a small brick castle and they have numerous foreign beers on tap)

Billy's on Burnet (great small friendly simple local sportsbar, if you want to meet locals).

Longhorn saloon on Burnet (Iconic byob saloon w great live music-extremely small, intimate, pure Texas friendly).

Female Roller Derby (it exists but you got to do your own research to find it). Frisbee golf in Pease Park as well.

Broken Spoke (Iconic old south Austin Country music bar on S. Lamar).

Dallas night club (iconic north Austin country bar on Burnet Rd. purely Tx).

Several great hostels are located near and in Downtown (I've stayed at both and enjoyed them )

Also try a What-a-Burger while your here. If you have to buy liqour go to Spec's, beer and wine go to HEB.

That should give you a few things to do while in Austin.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@Austinoire Thanks, your recommendations were extremely helpful!

To be fair, I didn't have time for at least half of the items on your list ... after all, I am here to work ;)

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

What am I? Chopped liver?? Lol. Just joking. There are a lot of things to do in Austin. Im glad you enjoyed your time there.

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'll post pics when I'm home again, and you'll see I've been to all but one items on your list ;)

Thanks all!

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  11. Austinoire

Austinoire Active Member

No problem, but I wanted to give you more than less. Didn't want you to leave and say they're nothing to do and the city was dull. It's the best little big city in Texas. A hidden gem...

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Back in the Netherlands; it's really weird now that it's colder outside than inside ;)

Anyway, while my days were mostly filled with work, I had a great time in Austin. What gave me a chuckle was that they can rave about a 150 years old building like it's ancient, and what amazed me is how polite people were, also in traffic. For Austin people, European car drivers must be like maniacs

In other words, a very interesting and friendly place ... I am glad to have been there!

13. Austinoire

Austinoire Active Member

Happy to have had you visit. Glad you had a good time. Tell all your friends and visit again.

Eeyore likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Some pictures of the capitol already :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And some local band players :)

[​IMG]