Any smart homes?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Jan 5, 2020.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I am starting to set one up. Nothing fancy just an Echo dot with a few smart bulbs, plugs, and switches at this point.

I was just wondering what others might be doing and looking for a few ideas.

Unfortunately my 2 year old Samsung tv doesn't play well with it, and the functionality with my Roku leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Keithmax likes this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

The one thing I did which was my most favorite was a motion sensor in the bathroom and a dimmable light so the bathroom light would only come on at 20% after 11 PM.

J_Man likes this.
  3. J_Man

Sounds good to me.

My favorite thing now is waking up and saying "Alexa turn on the coffee maker" because I hate having to wait for my morning coffee, so now by the time I get out of bed and make my way into the kitchen the coffee is ready.

And yes, I know you can get a coffee maker with a built in timer, but I am one of those people that wake up whenever...not at the same time every morning and I want my coffee now.

I also dislike bright lights and now I can just say "Alexa turn light to 10%" because all of the smart bulbs are dimmable.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We’ve got lots of Alexa stuff. Numerous lights, our home security system and our thermostat are linked to it. We also use it to set timers (e.g. for cooking) and the occasional alarm clock for me. We have some Echo Show devices, so we can see (& talk to ) the front door camera through it, as well as use it for an intercom around the house.

If you’re feeling bored, you can ask her to tell you a joke or a pun.

Also, as we get poor radio reception, we use it to stream a few radio stations.

Jim99 and J_Man like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've had motion lights outside for years but never inside.

A few months ago I was in Menards and happened to see one on the sale table that would work in an area of my basement that I walk through often. It took me awhile to stop reaching to turn it off but eventually I learned. It's one of those areas of the home that gets walked through more than anything and since it's in the basement a little light keeps you from running into things. The other thing is the area where it's located is where some things are stored so often times I'm coming and going through with an armload so not having to need a free hand works pretty good.

J_Man likes this.
  6. J_Man

The thermostat is next on my list, only because it is quite a distance from the master bedroom, and it's impossible to regulate the temperature in my house. Very old three story home, master bedroom being on the third floor. All year round I am running up and down the stairs, because it's always too hot in the bedroom. Hot air definately rises.

Many factors keep me from installing a thermostat in the master bedroom. Most due to the fact that the construction was done a few years short of 1900. Previous owners updated some of the house, but left the upper levels mostly untouched. We still have a few gas lighting fixtures in the hallways, but thankfully they are no longer connected.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Nope, I'm old school. I don't want anything waiting for my commands.

I was more comfortable living in the bush of Africa where we walked about a half mile to get our food from the fridge and bring it back to cook over our small gas stove and sit under the night sky. We were the few that were fortunate enough to have access to power, but no where near our living area.

4:30 watching an African sunrise with a cup of instant coffee :eatdrink013: ......... unforgettable!

:happy005:

J_Man likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have done some automation:

Music streams through the house but it is through wires, not WiFi. I use an old Apple mini as my music server. I use airport express and have several vacuum tube amps. Most of my music is HD so I don’t use iTunes. I also have Hue lights through out the house we can dim and change colors. I have a universal remote and it converter so I can control most things. I do not bother with thermostats or refrigerators etc.

J_Man likes this.
  9. J_Man

I also stream music throughout the house, but mine is done via bluetooth from the htpc and echo dot. Picked up bluetooth recievers in Walmart for $7.00 ea and connected them to a couple stereo systems and Bose wave radios throughout the house. I can control the htpc through an app on my phone & I have the Alexa app also for when I am out of range of the Echo dot.

Honestly I had no real desire to start automating things, but I recieved a free Echo dot when I renewed my Sirius satellite subscription and all of the smart accessories were so cheap, well I just couldn't resist.