Any terrible shaving products you have ever used?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 1969Fatboy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

It seems like most of the products we talk about are good, we praise them, write good reviews and so on. Are there any shave products(even blades) that just down right suck? Creams, soaps, AS, etc. Of course what doesnt work for one might be the best for someone else.

I originally wrote off many products in the beginning b/c I didnt use them properly and of course bashed them in the past. After re-visiting I realized that some were really good! Now I admit....there are alot that are mediocre and average and I will continue to use(not naming any names). So what have you used that either went in the garbage or PIF'ed immediately:happy102 I would like to refrain from knocking any small private product makers. Lets try to stick to main stream products or at least vendors that dont frequent TSD;)

My list.......and yes this in only my opinion....Derby SC, Arko SC's(some are adequate but still poor), some un named Ebay soap(it sucked!), Merkur blades, the smell of Polar Ice, AV, and AV musk AS. AOS AS lotion, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Caswell Massey soap......................to be perfectly clear: It sucks.

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Sharp and Merkur blades are the absolute worst product I have tried. I haven't found a terrible soap or cream yet, some marginal ones, but nothing terrible.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Mach 3! :D

Really though, the Williams soap did not work for me. I have not been shaving that long, but I really noticed a difference when I went to other products.

The worst ever though was a SE disposable no-name brand I used once in HS.
    Nobody wins.....:eek:

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Herban Cowboy vegan shave soap is terrible. I haven't read any positive reviews of that product.

As for blades, Merkurs are the only genuinely bad blades I've encountered. I have had quality control issues with 7am blades and I don't like Sharp Stainless- but those blades have their devotees and so I figure it's YMMV.

So, Herban Cowboy soap and Merkur blades= bad. Avoid them.

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

So far I've been very fortunate to have only been briefly subjected to the Merkur blades. Everything else shavewise has been great stuff.

7. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I don't care for Williams soap, either, even though I used it for years.

Balaka carbon blades are perfectly awful, and I love them....

I was just chatting with a guy here at work about using Mr. Clean as an aftershave (tongue-in-cheek, of course,) I imagine that would suck. :D

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Tiger blades - like being pawed py a Tiger
    I've used some other blades I didn't like, but nothing this rough.

9. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Merkur blades have been horrible to me, I have only tried them once but I am not going back to that. Other than that I have had not luck with irraeli Persona blades but others love them so I really can't say they are a bad product, they just don't work for me.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I forgot about the C&W and Herban Cowboy....they do suck. I was forced to use Rise canned cream once...it sucked! I actually dont mind Barbasol?

11. Musky

Musky New Member

Merkur, Sharp, and some of the Treet blades completly ripe off my face and I will not be using again. I have had to play around with many soaps and creams to get them to perform, but cannot say any were that bad (even Derby).

12. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

I don't like Williams or VDH.

Aaron

13. omegapd

omegapd New Member

For me, the worst products have been the no-name Ebay soap sellers...I like to try different things but have gotten burned there a few times.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You guys are nuts.. Williams is a great soap, used it this morning.

that being said I do not care for L'Ocitane Cade Shave cream I got a sample from a member here and it is the first cream that I have tried that i do not care to Try again at all

Fuzzy

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I hate to categorize all ebay soaps as crappy b/c they are not. Some private soap makers do sell on ebay such as PirateCove, SuzyBubbles,Debshandmadenaturals, etc that are really good soaps! But some just suck! I swear that they formed bath soap into a puck form and sold it.

Fuzzy,
    I give the Williams a thumbs up as well:) I do add glycerine to it and HAVE to use a good aftershave but still get a descent shave with it. Its tricky stuff though.

16. Peders

Peders Member

Zirh shaving cream. It's a brushless cream but still, it doesn't provide much of lubrication at all. It is pumped with menthol to make it feel cool and nice but it really isn't!

17. bonzo

bonzo New Member

Hmm...

Merkur Blades don't suck to me, but there are better

Store-bought Personnas

Derby Shave Cream

California North Shave Cream (wouldn't lather and smelled like dead oranges)

18. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Gillette Foamy canned aerosol shaving "cream"- IMO, was truly lousy, & doubt it's improved. You'd have been much better rubbing a wet bar of bath soaponto your wet face.

Some seem to think it's heresy to speak well of any canned shaving cream/foam, But IMO Noxzema red can & green can are the best canned stuff available, pretty doggone good & great when you're in a hurry.

BIC disposable razor- it was single blade, a long time ago, & I gave myself the *WORST*, most face-mangling shave of my life with it!:eek: Dunno what the model was called- indeed, back then, I think it was just a BIC disposable. I should have disposed of it *before* I shaved with it!:D

19. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Gillette Platinums, the ones that come in a little cardboard box. These are different from the dispenser ones, and are a lot more rough than Swedes. Steer clear!

20. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I have some of those too. Made in Russia. Matter of fact, same plant that the 7'oclock blades are made in...............

As for terrible shaving stuff...... Not much comes to mind. I can shave with Ivory bath soap, a yellow BIC disposable, and get a decent shave. I will say that there have been some blades that really sucked though. But, I cannot remember what they were......... :rolleyes: