Any use a fountain pen?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PLAla, Dec 28, 2015.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have several old and new calligraphy and fountain pens that I use with an inkwell from time to time. My father-in-law gave me a Nemosine pen for Christmas. It has pre-loaded ink cartridges as well as refillable reservoirs. I've loaded a ore-filled cartridge first and am trying that out now.

Anyone use fountain pens? Do you know anything about Nemosine?

2. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

GIYF. They look to be an inexpensive provider of pens with good reviews. Here is a link to their website.
    http://www.nemosine.com/

PLAla likes this.
  3. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I make pens for fun and to give to friends. I made a fountain pen a few months ago, for myself. I somewhat enjoy using it, but I'm not as caught up in it as some guys get. They are a bit temperamental, I've found

MattCB and PLAla like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have about 10 pens. My experience is that the refillable reservoirs write better than the cartridges.

gorgo2 and PLAla like this.
  5. PLAla

I'm afraid they would leak. But I guess that would be okay. It's not a pen I'm going to carry around with me all the time. I would be willing to try the reservoir but the ink that came with the pen is purple! I do have some black ink that I could use. But I thought the purple color was odd!

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You can buy new reservoirs if you worried about leaking. I have lot's of different colours but mostly use black, blue and red.

7. Single Malt Whiskers

Single Malt Whiskers Active Member

I use fountain pens but never heard of nemosine. My rotation is a LAMY as my EDC and a Montblanc when I have occasion for a nice pen and am not worried about losing it. How does the nemosine write? It looks good for the price. As for bladders vs. cartridges, I've never had a bladder leak so I wouldn't be too worried about it and some inks only come loose so it enables you to get some really cool inks, but if the prospect of a cartridge is what you wanna go with... I've got nothing bad to say about them either.

PLAla likes this.
  8. PLAla

It seems to write pretty well. My father-in-law was an attorney for 3+ decades and used fountain pens in all his legal work. He gifted it to me and when I had it set up I asked if he would write with it to see what he thought. He said it wrote well. He knows a lot more than I do so I agreed with him. I enjoy using it. I keep it on my desk next to my computer and am using it for jotting things down and other small needs.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fan of the humble Parker 21 here. I have three uncracked with the wedge clip, in red blue and green with corresponding inks. Use 'em near daily. I have a red and blue Easterbrook I would like to have put in working order someday, they look so good.

PLAla likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love fountain pens! I have some vintage collectibles and modern ones, that I can write with. I love using pens with gold nibs, because they write more smoothly.

PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  11. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I've dabbled a bit, but find the fix it / restore information to be minimal and very tight lipped.

PLAla likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

http://richardspens.com/
    Click on that, then over on the left you'll see his books. See if Vol. II is what you're looking for.

PLAla likes this.
  13. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

That looks to be a nice resource. One of the aspects I really enjoy about wet shaving is bringing old things back to life. I was having a hard time pinging any info on restoring beyond vague generalities and "leave it to the experts.... its overly difficult for the average person".
    I still use two Lami's, but have a small store of older pens tucked away to play with.

PLAla likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got my first Schaffer in about 1957. I got a Parker 51 in about 1963. I love fountain pens. I just don't write that much any more. You can see from my old avatar that sometimes I forgot to put the lid back on the pen.
    jr.jpg

PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Using a fountain pen for me is much like "traditional" shaving in that it brings you back to a more relaxed and refined time. Since leaving school I've had little need for daily writing in. I have however recently began needing to write on a daily basis and so I've begun using fountain pens at home for regular writing activities such as keeping a health journal and paying bills. IMO other then in an office or home setting fountain pens are not as practical as a ball points for just carrying around and abusing in pocket or car, but I do enjoy writing with them. I enjoy being able to fiddle with them and change ink colors and use different inks in different pens.
    My very modest collection is made up mostly of modern Chinese and Japanese pens along with an old cartridge type Wearever, a pen I used as a kid in school.
    I enjoy watching videos by SBREBrown, Goulet Pen CO. and The Pen Habit.

The pens I use on a daily basis are:
    Pilot Metropolitan
    Platinum Preppy(red and blue bodies)
    Short black body Hero 616(Parker 51 clone) and
    Jinhao 15 with a red body(Waterman Serenite look a like)
    :happy088:

PLAla likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have a Parker Duofold Jr. I'm guessing to be around a century old. I have used it, but it has been a while and needs a good cleaning.

PLAla likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nice! Can you post a pic? BTW, cold water with a little ammonia added, will clean it well.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looking for suggestions on a modern blue ink. Nothing fancy...just something that can be used on official business documents where blue or black is usually all that's allowed, but which is compatible with a 1950s Parker. All I have on hand is vintage blue-black, which looks black or dark gray with no hint of blue, at least to my eye. I'd like a pleasant but conservative looking blue that is obviously blue but doesn't jump off the paper like fluorescent gel ink.

All recommendations welcome, thanks.

PLAla likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Noodler's ink has some nice blues.

178-bplatoon, gorgo2 and PLAla like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Noodler's ink has many different colors.. At least some of their blues, blacks and blue/blacks are advertised as bullet proof. Check out the goulet pen company for more info. They are nice people(husband and wife), informative and easy to do business with. They also have many video's on Youtube.

Sara-s, gorgo2 and PLAla like this.