Anybody tried this bowl?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Jerry-built Hustler, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I like the DRH soaps, but their wood bowls have labels and seals that get funky looking after a while. I was thinking a generic bowl might be a better option. Since I'm about to make a purchase at Connaught, I was considering adding this bowl to the order. Has anybody tried it?

TIA

engrsaks likes this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Are you actually considering the bowl for lathering inside it or using it for storing the soap? (might be a foolish question, though)

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's the same question I have. :happy088:

Jerry-built Hustler and engrsaks like this.
  4. Jerry-built Hustler

Good question - I should have clarified. I'd be using the bowl as storage, and would load my brush from the soap in the bowl, but wouldn't actually be using it as a lathering bowl, since I'm a face latherer. In other words, I would use it like James Bond does. :D

5. RaZorBurn123

I'd buy it! It's a very nice bowl at a great price.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I've been curious about wooden bowls. Do they warp or swell with continued exposure to water? It looks like a good sized bowl.

8. RaZorBurn123

I have a wooden bowl that has not changed its shape nor smells. They come finished.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well, It sure beats using this:
    image.jpg
    And being shaved by:
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Joef, Dzia Dzia, PLANofMAN and 6 others like this.
  10. engrsaks

As far as using the bowl as storage is concerned, I would say, it is a great choice. It will go a long way. It seems pretty well designed from what I can tell. The top lid proves that the bowl is intended for storing. Go ahead Sir, add it to your collection :)
    James bond hmmmm? Lets not forget the most iconic actor in that series and my favorite, Roger Moore. I really love the feedback sound of the blade in this scene.

11. Jerry-built Hustler

Most of the branded bowls I have used have held their shape very well. My one DRH oak bowl has warped a little bit, the finish has peeled off, and the labels have gotten "gross" looking. Also, the soap edges inside the bowl have taken on the color of the stain, indicating the stain has leeched a bit. The generic bowl would solve the label issue, but I don't know about the stain or warping issues. Nor do I know how exact the fit is to DRH pucks, although it certainly looks like it's the right shape for them.

I have considered going with a metal or ceramic bowl instead, but I've always liked the wooden bowls, for no better reason than I do.

Spud likes this.
  12. Jerry-built Hustler

I'm getting my popcorn now, in anticipation of the Connery fans' responses.

cmorris357, Spud and engrsaks like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Yes, I have too. Practical, just not very elegant.

Spud and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That may be true but you can not beat the price for them.

Jerry-built Hustler and Spud like this.
  16. engrsaks

Connery, good actor, but not good in accent as James bond character. Roger moore takes the dialogue to a whole new level. ;) Classiness, second to none.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have two wooden bowls in my collection. I just use them to load my brush.
    arko2.jpg col_conk_lime.png

18. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

I have been using this bowl I got on Amazon with Arko stick cut up and jammed in it.
    Load brush and face lather with it...it's perfection as far as I'm concerned.
    bowl.jpg

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have wooden bowls, but gave up on them. While they do look VERY nice, I found they don't seal or stack well and one of mine(the dark stained one in @Jayaruh's picture) broke/shattered into 3 pieces when it dropped off my vanity onto the tile bathroom floor.:angry019: The bowl I lather with now is an ebay SS Chinese bowl(it's the same dimensions as the green VDH ceramic bowl and even I can't break it) and I store all my soap in good ole small Ziploc containers.:) They ain't pretty, but they are cheap, easy to find, stack and seal very well and as of now even I haven't broken one yet oh and did I mention they are CHEAP :happy097:

Spud, Jerry-built Hustler and Jayaruh like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have said so on another thread that if I had it to do over again, I would get the Mitchell's Wool Fat in the refill and put it in a Ziploc container instead of getting the ceramic bowl. The ceramic bowl is pretty, but it is not practical. The Ziploc containers are a great solution for soaps because as you said:
    They ain't pretty, but they are cheap, easy to find, stack and seal very well and as of now I haven't broken one yet:) oh and did I mention they are CHEAP :happy097: